Hitting on one cylinder

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

Hitting on one cylinder

Post by LSU Tiger »

Today I cranked my 2000 vs800 Intruder and it only hit on the front cylinder. What are the possible reasons it is not hitting on the rear cylinder? Thanks.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Hitting on one cylinder

Post by WintrSol »

How long sitting? It could just be stale gas in the carb. Try draining it, then let it refill and try again.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

It has been sitting one week. Gas is good I think. Thanks.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

Do you mean drain the carburetor?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

LSU Tiger wrote:Do you mean drain the carburetor?
Yes, that's what I meant. Only a week sitting? Then not likely fuel, unless the float valve stuck closed; opening the drain would test this.

If not fuel, then I'd check spark first, then that the plug wire is seated, and the cap is tight to the wire. Good spark? Then check compression, to see if a valve stuck on you (not likely, but it does happen). Poor spark, then check the wire connections at the coil, and clean/reconnect the igniter.
Florissant, MO

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

Will do. Thanks very much.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

I cranked the motorcycle today and it is hitting on both cylinders. I guess it was a float valve sticking. I had both carbs cleaned about one year ago.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Now that it is running good, Fill the tank with fresh 87 octane and add 3 ounces of Seafoam, you won't be disappointed.

94szki
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by 94szki »

navigator wrote:Now that it is running good, Fill the tank with fresh 87 octane and add 3 ounces of Seafoam, you won't be disappointed.
I have a 94 VS800 --- just to make sure I'm understanding correctly --- we are supposed to be filling up with 87? Since I've had the bike I have been putting 93 (super) in it, thinking that it is BETTER for the bike. Please correct me if that's not the case.

Thank you!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

94szki wrote:
navigator wrote:Now that it is running good, Fill the tank with fresh 87 octane and add 3 ounces of Seafoam, you won't be disappointed.
I have a 94 VS800 --- just to make sure I'm understanding correctly --- we are supposed to be filling up with 87? Since I've had the bike I have been putting 93 (super) in it, thinking that it is BETTER for the bike. Please correct me if that's not the case.

Thank you!
Your bike calls for 87 octane...factory recommended.
IMO, it will run better on 87 than 93. 93 gas has a slower rate of burn and is meant for high compression engines.
87 is also cheaper, leaving you with a fatter wallet. [emoji2]

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

navigator wrote:
94szki wrote:

Thank you!
IMO, it will run better on 87 than 93. 93 gas has a slower rate of burn and is meant for high compression engines.
If you have more open pipes, as I did, you can hear the fuel, that didn't contribute to power, continue burning in the pipes at some rpm ranges. At least, I could.
Florissant, MO

94szki
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by 94szki »

WintrSol wrote:
navigator wrote:
94szki wrote:

Thank you!
If you have more open pipes, as I did, you can hear the fuel, that didn't contribute to power, continue burning in the pipes at some rpm ranges. At least, I could.
I do have open pipes now! I de-baffled both mufflers and removed both silencers from each muffler. I can hear the pops and backfires if I yank on the throttle and then abruptly let go. It kind of sounds cool.... but maybe of course it's not running efficiently. I'm running 93 octane when this happens.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

94szki wrote: I do have open pipes now! I de-baffled both mufflers and removed both silencers from each muffler. I can hear the pops and backfires if I yank on the throttle and then abruptly let go. It kind of sounds cool.... but maybe of course it's not running efficiently. I'm running 93 octane when this happens.
Well, you are still going to get some pops when letting off the throttle - that's because the engine is lean from the factory, and can only reduced some with the pilot (idle fuel/air) settings. Mine sounded rough on acceleration in some ranges, too.
Florissant, MO