I am stumped

rustywrench
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs800 vs1400 harley

I am stumped

Post by rustywrench »

I have been away from this board for a while since I am usually pretty clever at solving problems. This time I am really stumped.
A 96/800 I own sat at my daughters house not ridden for a while. Brought it home and installed a new battery.
Problem: No power when I turn on the key. nothing at all. Power to the solenoid. power to the fuse block. all fuses test ok yet nothing happens
with the key on. And the switch tests good across the leads so what am I not seeing? Rusty :bang:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: I am stumped

Post by Lechy »

Is the emergency shut down switch in the run position.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

rustywrench wrote:I have been away from this board for a while since I am usually pretty clever at solving problems. This time I am really stumped.
A 96/800 I own sat at my daughters house not ridden for a while. Brought it home and installed a new battery.
Problem: No power when I turn on the key. nothing at all. Power to the solenoid. power to the fuse block. all fuses test ok yet nothing happens
with the key on. And the switch tests good across the leads so what am I not seeing? Rusty :bang:
What shape is your ground cable in??

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

So, the lights, turn signals, brake lights, and ignition are all off with the key in the ON position? Does the tail lamp come on when you turn the key to the P position?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

rustywrench
Tricycles are Cool

Post by rustywrench »

Lechy wrote:Is the emergency shut down switch in the run position.

[emoji41]
Shutdown switch only controls the engine ignition so it should not matter with that. Nothing lights up when I turn the key on. Rusty

rustywrench
Tricycles are Cool

Post by rustywrench »

FallenAngel wrote:
rustywrench wrote:I have been away from this board for a while since I am usually pretty clever at solving problems. This time I am really stumped.
What shape is your ground cable in??
I have gone through that but I think I will double check that more thoroughly. This has to be something simple; just can't see it. Rusty

rustywrench
Tricycles are Cool

Post by rustywrench »

WintrSol wrote:So, the lights, turn signals, brake lights, and ignition are all off with the key in the ON position? Does the tail lamp come on when you turn the key to the P position?
No nothing at all. Rusty

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

rustywrench wrote:
WintrSol wrote:So, the lights, turn signals, brake lights, and ignition are all off with the key in the ON position? Does the tail lamp come on when you turn the key to the P position?
No nothing at all. Rusty
That implies the main 25A circuit is open, and not providing power to the switch, as that is the power used to light the tail light in the P position. This could be the wire at the back of the fuse panel coming loose, or a break between it and the switch. Since this seems to have occurred during storage, I'd start by removing the seat and side covers, and look for vermin damage to the harness.
Florissant, MO

rustywrench
Tricycles are Cool

Post by rustywrench »

WintrSol wrote:
rustywrench wrote:
No nothing at all. Rusty
That implies the main 25A circuit is open, and not providing power to the switch, as that is the power used to light the tail light in the P position. This could be the wire at the back of the fuse panel coming loose, or a break between it and the switch. Since this seems to have occurred during storage, I'd start by removing the seat and side covers, and look for vermin damage to the harness.
Actually the tank, seat and side covers are removed for carb removal for cleaning (now done) and I have been probing with a VOM trying to follow the power source and failure. So far no vermin damage and no reason for the failure. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! But tomorrow is a new day. More trying,
Rusty

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Try jumping the neg battery terminal straight to the frame as a quick check to see if you have an earthing issue.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

hillsy wrote:Try jumping the neg battery terminal straight to the frame as a quick check to see if you have an earthing issue.
Or, measure from the negative aux terminal to the frame or engine with the key on. If Voltage is there, there is an open from the battery to frame ground. If not, it could still be the battery terminals.

When you replaced the battery, did you check to see that the terminals are really tightened? Quite a few had bolts about 1 thread too long, and didn't clamp the terminals well when the bolts were tight.
Florissant, MO

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Try to follow the red/white wire from the positive side of the battery and see if it has a small breaker, small box with a little red tit. Press the tit to re-set the breaker. Might be tucked up below or aside of the starter solenoid. Not fitted to all Intruders but may be fitted to yours. May have been replaced with an inline fuse.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

rustywrench
Tricycles are Cool

Post by rustywrench »

Lechy wrote:Try to follow the red/white wire from the positive side of the battery and see if it has a small breaker, small box with a little red tit. Press the tit to re-set the breaker. Might be tucked up below or aside of the starter solenoid. Not fitted to all Intruders but may be fitted to yours. May have been replaced with an inline fuse.
[emoji41]

Armed with a VOM and the wire diagram in the manual I could see that the red wire went to the fuse block. R/W wire came out to feed a lot of stuff. With the fuse block in hand, I got 12V at the red pin and 0 at the R/W pin. Removed the plug from the fuse block and sure enough the R/W pin was dirty. Cleaned and re-installed, Power where it needed to be. So friends and neighbors, I really just needed to talk this one through. THANK YOU ALL for being here and taking the time to help. It gave me the nudge to get through this. Been away from it for a while ya understand. Rusty
:cheers: :bow:

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

rustywrench wrote:
Lechy wrote:Try to follow the red/white wire from the positive side of the battery and see if it has a small breaker, small box with a little red tit. Press the tit to re-set the breaker. Might be tucked up below or aside of the starter solenoid. Not fitted to all Intruders but may be fitted to yours. May have been replaced with an inline fuse.
[emoji41]

Armed with a VOM and the wire diagram in the manual I could see that the red wire went to the fuse block. R/W wire came out to feed a lot of stuff. With the fuse block in hand, I got 12V at the red pin and 0 at the R/W pin. Removed the plug from the fuse block and sure enough the R/W pin was dirty. Cleaned and re-installed, Power where it needed to be. So friends and neighbors, I really just needed to talk this one through. THANK YOU ALL for being here and taking the time to help. It gave me the nudge to get through this. Been away from it for a while ya understand. Rusty
One of the best tools I have found for elec work is a Power Probe
You can get them from any Tool truck
When hooked to your battery it gives you a good power source and a ground with the flip of a switch The LED light show red for power and green for ground also has a ground connection It is way better then a test light.
Also has a digital meter showing the voltage and a buzzer with suppurate tones for Ground and Hot. Many volt ohm meter have buzzers But I made a couple from those irritating seat belt buzzers with some wire and and 2 alligator clips, better then asking a friend to watch a tail light The buzzer never looks away.

Happy you got it sorted out out
Also seems were neighbors I live in Shoreline WA,

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

rustywrench wrote:
[emoji41]

You've got to love a happy ending.... Haha. For diagnosing bike problems this forum really does kick ass.