Smelling burning coolant but no leak?

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Smelling burning coolant but no leak?

Post by rocksandhammers »

Hey guys. Over the last couple weeks every once and a while after a ride I get a strong smell of burning coolant coming off the engine. Smelled it today so after it cooled off I pulled off the radiator cover to check if the coolant levels were low and if anything it was the opposite, with enough in the radiator to dribble out when taking the cap off. It seemed pressurized as I was taking the cap off, and checking over the hoses I don’t see any obvious leaks. I also replaced the hoses this winter so they’re nice and fresh. Could it just be there’s too much coolant and some of it’s going into the overflow (looks like the overflow goes to the front air box?). Haven’t noticed any coolant on the garage floor or gotten any over heating so probably making something out of nothing, but it’s a pretty strong smell so I figured I’d check with the forum.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Smelling burning coolant but no leak?

Post by Lechy »

The coolant does not go into the front air box but into a small expansion box, this has an overflow hose that passes down the side of the fan cover RH side. coolant overflow could be passing down this hose and venting onto the exhaust header. You say that you changed the hoses, did you open the bleed vent located on the LH frame upright just behind the neck cover to bleed out any air in the system. Be careful when removing this bolt, it can become seized over time and the head can shear off very easily.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

It is best to remove when engine is warmed up
Just before start up give the vent plug a light tap
And this may sound odd But turn the plug clock wise before loosening
What this does is loosen some of the crap that gets cake on the threads if there is any.
Helps prevent striping of the threads
A Light tap
Warm engine
Tighten the loosen

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

Lechy wrote:You say that you changed the hoses, did you open the bleed vent located on the LH frame upright just behind the neck cover to bleed out any air in the system. Be careful when removing this bolt, it can become seized over time and the head can shear off very easily.
[emoji41]
Yeah, I took that bolt and and made sure no air got trapped in the system while refilling it. I only know of this bolt because the first time I changed the coolant several years ago I forgot to put it back in. Got about five miles from home when suddenly coolant started shooting out of it all over my boot and the road. Ended up plugging it with some tape enough to limp it home without overheating the engine. Never made that mistake again...

I'll check out the overflow when I get home this afternoon.