VS800 Exhaust Option

Rudy619
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 Intruder VS800

VS800 Exhaust Option

Post by Rudy619 »

Hey everyone.
I comb this forum for ideas or help on my 2001 Intruder.
I read a few threads on exhaust upgrades and wanted to share my conclusions here!

My goals were:
1. easy to install
2. not terribly expensive
3. no mods
4. louder than stock
5. no need to mess w the carb
6. aesthetics was important but not a deal breaker

With that in mind I bought the EMGO shorty's some people have recommended and used successfully.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Shorty-Mu ... way&sr=8-1

Unfortunately, I was looking for a direct bolt or slip on and these didn't fit the bill. The only way to make these fit out of the box would be to use reducers and install a new clamp. Neither of these were included in the box. The exhaust was also super short and I know its a SHORTY but I did not conceptualize how small these would have looked on my bike till I put them next to my stock pipes. Last but not least, the model I received may have been a weld on style because it did not have any slits that would compress once clamp was tightened. So, even if I decided to buy the pair of reducers and clamps the inlet may not have completely sealed.

Could not test the sound because I decided to go another route but more on that later.

So I went back to square one and decided to give the VOODOO Universal pipes a try.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BU ... UTF8&psc=1

I honestly did not know what to expect, but I knew that these were 7 inches longer than the EMGO shorty's, had a internal baffle, and came with reducers and a clamp to install. These cost only a few more dollars than the EMGO's and probably cost what I would have spent if I had bought reducers and clamps for the Shorty's.

Installation was a breeze because all hardware was included, inlet had slits there for compressed when clamp was tightened.

The sound is GREAT. I took the bike for a spin and I honestly do not think I would have been okay with how loud the EMGO shorty's would have been since they did not have internal baffles. These are about 75% louder than stock and barely bearable 65-80 mph.

Bike runs great (knock on wood) and does not back fire or bog like some folks have warned.

I would HIGHLY recommend the VooDoo, the EMGO's are going to be sent back.

I can post photos if folks have an appetite for it!

Thanks!
Rudy
2001 VS800
10,000+ mi.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: VS800 Exhaust Option

Post by navigator »

Good info! Thanks.

jontom
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2006 s50

Re: VS800 Exhaust Option

Post by jontom »

nice write up @Rudy619 after reading this im considering ordering a pair for myself! i have my factory pipes drilled 1/2 x 3 threw the outer most plate and it sounds ok, but for the price of the voodoo pipes im thinking it may bet better then continuing to drill further into my factories. did you ever end up having to rejet or tweak the carbs for this setup? any gains or losses in performance? would love to see a pic of them on your bike if you wouldn't mind! cheers, happy riding!