Clutch Set Not Engaging

mfifa1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800

Clutch Set Not Engaging

Post by mfifa1 »

Hello,

Went to start my 95 Intruder 800 a couple days after I last rode it about 30 miles and it wouldn't turn over on start. Sounded very mechanical like the clutch gears were spinning freely but not catching the starter clutch set. I'm going thru the process of taking off the Generator cover to see if there is anything that pops out but wondering if anyone has specific advice on what to look for.

Thanks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Clutch Set Not Engaging

Post by Lechy »

First, remove the spark plugs, next remove the centre plug on the alternator cover. You will need a 17 mm socket to turn the engine. Turn the rotor counter clockwise and listen, things should be quiet. Then turn the engine clockwise, you should feel the sprag clutch engage and hear the dog gears turning. If not, remove the cover for further investigation. Inside you will see the starter drive and 2 dog gears, remove the gears ( take a pic for re-assembly) behind the rotor is the sprag clutch, turn this in both directions, one way will turn, the other way will lock and turn the engine. If it turns freely in both directions it will need to be removed, cleaned and inspected.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

mfifa1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800

Post by mfifa1 »

Thanks Lechy! I will work on that tonight and let you know what I find.

Mike

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Post by rocksandhammers »

Lechey, I was told while learning how to do the valve clearances not to rotate the motor clockwise as it would fuck up the cam chain tensioner or something. Was that incorrect info or is it something you can do infrequently in circumstances such as this?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I don't know about other makes or models but on the 750-800's turning either way will not do any damage. On these bikes, turning clockwise engages the sprag clutch and this will turn the starter motor sounds nasty. On bikes with timing chains that have a split link it could cause the locking piece to disengage and the chain to separate and fall off the sprockets.
It's only a matter of turning the rotor a few degrees either way to notice if the clutch is working or not.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.