Side stand switch

rocksandhammers
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 Boulevard S50

Side stand switch

Post by rocksandhammers »

Just when I get one issue sorted out another crops up. Got the new regulator hooked up last night. Charging system tests say everything is good. So I get all my gear on, fire up the bike in the driveway and things seem to be running fine. Hop on and as soon as I shift to first gear the engine dies. Lights are still on and electrics work so my first guess was the side stand switch since it died before I even let off the clutch lever. Dig into the wiring and when I test the resistance going through the switch from G-b/w (while having the bike in gear and pushing the button behind the kickstand) I get nothing. This should be showing some current passing through the switch right? If so what’s the best way to jump the switch? Can I just bypass the circuit by connecting the g-b/w wires leading to the switch under the seat or is there a better way?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Side stand switch

Post by WintrSol »

Assuming you have the Ohm meter's positive lead on the G wire, it should read continuity to the b/w wire, if the meter is in diode test mode. Note the schematic shows a diode internal to the switch.

The switch may just need cleaning, but you can bypass the switch (many have), as long as you promise not to ride off with the stand down. :naughty:
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

tarza
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S50 Boulevard

Post by tarza »

If bad things happen when your out riding a safety pin will save you . Just shove the pin into both wires so it makes Continuity . Should work then .

94szki
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by 94szki »

I know our bikes have three main safety features.

1. Master kill switch on handlebars
2. Clutch safety switch
3. Kickstand safety switch

I know that most people have bypassed both the clutch safety switch as well as the kickstand switch. In theory, I would imagine it would be as easy as connecting both wires together for the clutch switch.

Personally I haven't bypassed any of the switches because I haven't identified any problems with them yet. You better be sure that the moment that one fails I would want to bypass it too.

For anyone who has bypassed these, please provide your $0.02 on the matter.

(I'm assuming you have to be even more cautious of starting the bike while it's in gear if you bypass the clutch safety. So keep that in mind.)

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have the clutch and side stand switches jumpered. But then I learned to ride on bikes without the safety switches and it has never been a problem but you are correct that if you are used to them you do need to be extra careful.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.