tachometer

tarza
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S50 Boulevard

tachometer

Post by tarza »

I was given a tach and I want to make sure I hooked it up right. RED is positive / black is neg / short green wire is ground / yellow black says engine signal = is that the + side of the coil on number 1 cyl ? short black wire is power Ign lock do I hook that to red on switch?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: tachometer

Post by Lechy »

Red, black are for the light, hook them up to the tail/side light. Best to hook up the yellow/black to one of the pulse wires before it goes into the igniter. Short black to any live wire.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

tarza
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S50 Boulevard

Post by tarza »

Thank you very much.

94szki
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Post by 94szki »

Good afternoon folks!

Could someone who has already added such a tach to their VS800 please upload a picture of where exactly they spliced/connected the main feed wire to the coil (and which coil they chose)? A picture of the actual wiring (of the VS800) to the coil is preferable instead of just theory. I do have a few of the service manuals and I'm sure they include wiring diagrams somewhere, but i rather be sure and talk to the experts here before splicing any wires. :)

If someone is nice enough, some additional pictures of where they chose to splice into the wiring harness for the rest of the electrical connections would also be lovely. The easiest (and tidiest) place that I can think of would be in the headlight bucket, but I don't know if pulling voltage from the main headlight power would put a strain on the electrical system.

Please chime in if you have added a tach to your VS800. Any recommendations for a micro tachometer would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't have to have a chrome bezel, it can have a black exterior shell as well. I'm not looking for the gauge to be very fancy, just a simply (one bolt) mini gauge that I can use to keep an eye on RPM.

The only gauge that would actually be very useful would be a fuel gauge, but after researching this topic - it doesn't appear it's even possible for the VS800. Silly for them not to include one from the factory. Yes I'm aware that we need to just reset our odometer after every fuel up and our 2 gallon tanks carry an average safe estimate of 80 miles until a stop is needed.

Thank you kindly for the support!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Hook up the black to the orange/white on either of the coils, hook up the yellow/black to either the dark green or blue wire going into the igniter box.

Have a look here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=s ... h&_sacat=0
You get the quality you pay for.
Grow old disgracefully young man.