1986 Intruder 700 Maintenance

Skol75
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 86 intruder 700

1986 Intruder 700 Maintenance

Post by Skol75 »

Hello everyone, I have a 86 intruder 700. This bike was bought new by my now deceased grandfather. After his death my dad had the bike for about 20 years. My dad died several years ago and the bike was past on to me. Needless to say, this bike has a lot of sentimental value to me.

The bike is in very good shape, 15k miles and only a few very minor paint and chrome imperfections that can be buffed out. I plan to keep the miles reasonably low while still taking it out for a commemorative ride once or twice a week in the summers. I hope to someday pass this bike onto my future son.

I have done quite a bit of research on this model and year and have found that it is a pretty rare bike with not a lot of info out there, limited parts availability even on simple things like oil filters.

I come here looking for guidance on routine maintenance of this bike. Please be as detailed as possible. I know how to change the oil, but am even having a difficult time finding a oil filter for this bike. Also does this bike have a secondary drive that needs oil replaced? Any info on this bike, especially info related to maintenance, would be greatly appreciated.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: 1986 Intruder 700 Maintenance

Post by Lechy »

Download the service manual: http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... =13&t=3346

700's and 750's are all the same excepting the stroke of the piston. All parts are interchangeable.
The oil filters are what is called popular filters again excepting the earlier models which if I remember correctly have an 18 mm fitting and the later ones were 20 mm (could be the other way around). Take your old filter to any autoparts store and they will be able to match it up for you.
Cuban and I had adapters made up so we can use the later easier to get filters.

Engine and box use the same oil.

There are many engine tune up threads on the board, I have posted a video on show to synch the carbs.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Like Lechy says, look for an adapter to take a late model popular spin on filter.
Change and bleed both your brake and clutch master cylinders yearly, Use DOT 4 brake fluid.
Change the rear differential fluid, about 8 oz. of 80w90 hypoid gear fluid.
Change your radiator coolant (use silicate free antifreeze) and add about 1 oz. of liquid Bars Leak.
Inspect/Replace your air filters
Every 15000 or so replace your fork oil.
Inspect/Replace your front brake pads.

All the above is great to do over the winter, unless you are fortunate and can ride all year.
And oh yea, RIDE as much as possible to keep it from sitting. :cheers:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

If it's been sitting most of that time, the clutch plates may be glued to each other. If the clutch lever feels like it is disengaging the clutch, try dropping it in gear and giving it a push; it should roll, even with some difficulty.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Skol75
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 86 intruder 700

Post by Skol75 »

It did sit for a while.. Last summer I brought it to a shop and had the carbs cleaned, new battery, new air filter.. It's been running good and started up just fine this spring, I put some seafoam in the tank to help prevent the carbs from sludging up over winter.. I think I will change the final drive oil and antifreeze in the next couple days.. No idea when either of those were last changed.. Oil was changed by the shop last September and hasn't had more then a coupłe hundred miles on it since then, I'm thinking I might change the oil too just for the hell of it and peace of mind.. I'd like to change out the clutch fluid but am not experienced with it. I'll ask my father in law to give me a hand at some point, he is good with bikes..

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

For the clutch or brake fluid, just unbolt the master cylinder from the bars and slide it up 'til it's level, reclamp.
Remove the top cover, Use a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid, replenish with new fluid, and bleed the system.
Cover your paint, DOT 4 eats paint.

Jlabrec87
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1986 VS 700 Intruder

Post by Jlabrec87 »

There is a Fram direct replacement filter for the 86' 700's. It is an automotive filter. I will look when I get home and give you the exact number off of mine.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

It should be noted that there are two air filters, one under the seat, the other under the tank.

When you change the coolant, you need to add a couple ounces of liquid Bars Leaks; this keeps pinholes in the aluminum radiator from forming, and lubricates the water pump.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie