Florida members-carb help?

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Re: Florida members-carb help?

Post by Swcoinguy »

navigator wrote:You can remove the bowl with the carb on the bike.
Undo the manifold clamp and flip it over. It may help to have the slider and spring removed
Drape a catch cloth under the carb to catch the pieces you drop.
Use a JIS with a handheld impact to break the screws loose.
From there you can clean the bowl and blow carb cleaner in all the holes.
Check your sync after reassembly.

It really is rather easy, it's all nuts and bolts after all just shaped differently.
What really scares me about carbs is making them function properly. What I mean by that is if I take it apart and something gets out of whack them I'm screwed. I don't have enough experience to know if I'm doing the reassembly correctly. I've read multiple write ups about bench syncing after cleaning and I don't know what they are refering to so I can't picture it in my head. Diaphragm carbs and lawnmower carbs I've disassembled so many times its like riding a bicycle but motorcycle carbs (especially dual carbs)just frighten me lol.
I'll look at some diagrams to see what slider and spring your refering to.
I had to look up JIS-Japanese Industry Standard. I do have that. I had to show my dad the difference once, he thought Philips was the same.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

I got up this morning early to install my new Custon Dynamics mini beast air horn on my 06 C90. It took a bit longer than I anticipated but that happens when your OCD. I finished and took it out to test the horn(don't spend the money, buy a Rivco air horn if you want loud). When I got back I sat and stared at my '02 VS800 and decided it was time to figure out why it wasn't happy. I started it up and it did its usual spitting and sputtering for a couple minutes. Then a voice in the back of my mind said-try readjusting the a/f screw on the rear carb since it's the one that is having a problem. Well hot damn if it didn't get happier sounding after I turned it out half a turn. I went for a short run around the block and it was a noticeable improvement. I gave it another half turn out when I got back and it's damn near spot on now! I guess it was just choking for fuel on the idle circuit. It was fine once I opened the throttle but ran like poop at take off. The cruising speed surge is gone now too so I am roll along in 4th instead of third. The bike feels much happier now and I don't have to be hard on the throttle or high in the rpm's. What a difference the turn of a screw makes. I'm not sure where they are now from seated-If I remember correctly I thought about 2&1/2 to 2&3/4 out from seated before today. I didn't touch the front a/f screw today because the front carb is fine. I adjusted them a/f screws right after I bought the bike( a few years ago) and it made a big difference(the brass caps were still in so it was where the factory set them). Maybe the rear screw had worked its way back in? Either way I'll let it sit and see how it runs at startup when it's cold and if it's good I'm leaving it the way it is.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Now that you adjusted the A/F, gently seat it to find out how many turns you are at.
when you get up around 4, it is time to look for other issues.
If you are too far out, there is no pressure left on the spring, and you could lose that screw.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

That is exactly my plan. I'm pretty sure that I'm not that far out yet but I'd rather be 100% than SOL because that screw took a vacation lol.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Now that I'm in possession of a vacuum gauge set I'll be attempting to sync my carbs. If I remember correctly I need to loosen the idle screw completely after the bike is completely warmed up. What else should I do to be at "base settings" before so start the sync procedure? I'm going to put my gas tank on a shelf run a long ass fuel line to the bike so that's covered. I was think about seating the a/f screws and turning them out to a pre-designated number of turns that should be a good general rule setting to start with. Anyone think that's a good or bad idea? Should I touch the a/f screws at all before I try the sync? What should my plan of action be before, during, and after?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

All sounds good except the fuel supply. I advise the use a of a very small bottle as a supply and have a bucket of water handyand a fire blanket or anything to throw over it. Tinkering with mixtures( which is what you are about to do) can and will course a pop back or back fire

If your going to have a fire small tiny ones are better.

13 liter hanging over it, bye bye mustache, bike , garage house, wife, life etc etc

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

Good point Fred. I'll borrow one of those small bottle type fuel cell containers that are made for this type of thing specifically. I know a guy who had one, hopefully he still has it.