Anyone running forward controls?

EddieMeister
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800

Anyone running forward controls?

Post by EddieMeister »

Hey everyone I am new to the community. I ride a 92' Intruder VS800 bobber conversion and I seriously hate the position of the stock pedal controls I need to stretch them out, I am 5'9" and was looking to see if someone could please post some pictures of their forward controls with you sitting on the bike stretched out to better help me make a decision on which brand to go with. I did some searching on the interwebs and it seems like there aren't many options out there, I've attached a few links of the only controls I could find for the VS 800/S50 let me know if you have any of the following mounted on yours.
http://intruderteam.de/epages/22128.sf/ ... derteam%22

https://www.amazon.com/Refined-Cycle-FC ... B00DZ7WEZ4
( I am not digging these, not a fan of the billet, chopper looking vibe these have going)

http://intruderteam.de/Forward-Controls-Tech-Glide-10

http://www.seegercycle.com/vs750800intruder-1.aspx

http://www.motorradteile-zubehoer.de/Fo ... 0-Intruder

Looks like the kits in the first 3 links use the existing bottom bracket. I am digging the ones in the last two links (i think they are the same, just different pegs) I like that it seems they eliminate the stock controls bottom bracket. Gives it a cleaner look.

anyone running a similar set of forward controls that can help me out with some pictures.
:XmasTree:
92' VS 800
Bobbed and dropped

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Anyone running forward controls?

Post by sgtcall »

I have the refined cycles controls and like them. You can also get them in the smooth version and if you goto the refined cycles web site they are a little cheaper. Mine were under 400 delivered. Plus there are plenty of options. I am 6ft and the fit is great.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

EddieMeister
Tricycles are Cool

Post by EddieMeister »

sgtcall wrote:I have the refined cycles controls and like them. You can also get them in the smooth version and if you goto the refined cycles web site they are a little cheaper. Mine were under 400 delivered. Plus there are plenty of options. I am 6ft and the fit is great.
Wholly crap I checked their website after all the options you get to choose from the price quickly started to climb upwards of $400. I like how far they stretch you out (10" i believe?) however I wasn't feeling that huge metal triangular plate on the sides and those curved pedals, was a bit too much for me. I went with mapams ( they move the foot controls about 6"). My bike being a bobber and slammed I think 6" will be just right, the 10" stretch would probably be more ideal for those 6ft guys. I like that mapams are subtle, simple and not so much in your face. Oh and they are apparently hard to come by these days, I was able to score a set off EBAY for a little over $250. They should be here sometime between after the 19th, hopefully the weather picks up so I can put them on, can't wait

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282248371123

Here are pictures of intruders running the now rare Mapam FWD Controls

92' VS 800
Bobbed and dropped

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

Not sure if you saw them or not but a memeber here had a set of those exact forwards for sale in the for sale folder. If your not aware of it it's down a bit farther on the main page. Probably could have saved you some cash through the forum(memeber to member) and helping support other members benefits everyone In the long run.
I have the Mapams and I'm 6'. They fit me pretty well-without them I wouldn't ride the VS800. Hope they workout for ya, the stock peg position leaves a little to be desired for a lot of people.

EddieMeister
Tricycles are Cool

Post by EddieMeister »

Swcoinguy wrote:Not sure if you saw them or not but a memeber here had a set of those exact forwards for sale in the for sale folder. If your not aware of it it's down a bit farther on the main page. Probably could have saved you some cash through the forum(memeber to member) and helping support other members benefits everyone In the long run.
I have the Mapams and I'm 6'. They fit me pretty well-without them I wouldn't ride the VS800. Hope they workout for ya, the stock peg position leaves a little to be desired for a lot of people.
Howdy, I saw the fs thread and did notice a member had them for sale unfortunately they did sell a bit ago. I agree the mid mounted controls makes some shy away from intruders. Can't wait to mount mine.
92' VS 800
Bobbed and dropped

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

EddieMeister wrote:
Swcoinguy wrote:Not sure if you saw them or not but a memeber here had a set of those exact forwards for sale in the for sale folder. If your not aware of it it's down a bit farther on the main page. Probably could have saved you some cash through the forum(memeber to member) and helping support other members benefits everyone In the long run.
Howdy, I saw the fs thread and did notice a member had them for sale unfortunately they did sell a bit ago. I agree the mid mounted controls makes some shy away from intruders. Can't wait to mount mine.
Good deal, just wasn't sure if you saw them. Bronx is usually pretty good about marking his stuff as sold, I guess he forgot it lol. Only the VS/S models have cramped leg position. The VL/C models(800 and 1500cc) are pretty well stretched out. If you have any trouble getting the forwards mounted post a question and I'm sure someone will be able to help(I'm sure I'm not the only one that has the Mapams).

EddieMeister
Tricycles are Cool

Post by EddieMeister »

Swcoinguy wrote:
EddieMeister wrote:
Good deal, just wasn't sure if you saw them. Bronx is usually pretty good about marking his stuff as sold, I guess he forgot it lol. Only the VS/S models have cramped leg position. The VL/C models(800 and 1500cc) are pretty well stretched out. If you have any trouble getting the forwards mounted post a question and I'm sure someone will be able to help(I'm sure I'm not the only one that has the Mapams).
Coinguy, well you jinxed me. I already ran into one issue. The controls haven't arrived yet but I figured i'd get a head start and apply some PB Blaster to the bolts holding the mid controls plate. Well, first I was a bit surprised that Suzuki would place allen bolts down there to begin with, that threw me off a little. But what really threw me off completely was when i noticed 3 of the allen bolts, they are completely stripped and trashed :hellfire:.
i have to figure out a way to get them out :confused:
92' VS 800
Bobbed and dropped

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

I put mine on a long while back but if I remember correctly my '02 had 10 or 12 mm bolts/nuts and they had a cotter pin through them to ensure they didn't come loose and fall out. I'd have to look again to confirm what they were but I don't think they were Allen head bolts. Are they button heads like Suzuki uses a lot or are they the barrel head Allens? Can you get vice-grips on the heads?

EddieMeister
Tricycles are Cool

Post by EddieMeister »

Swcoinguy wrote:I put mine on a long while back but if I remember correctly my '02 had 10 or 12 mm bolts/nuts and they had a cotter pin through them to ensure they didn't come loose and fall out. I'd have to look again to confirm what they were but I don't think they were Allen head bolts. Are they button heads like Suzuki uses a lot or are they the barrel head Allens? Can you get vice-grips on the heads?
Can't get get a vice grip down there, bolts are recessed. I think I'm going to make a trip to harbor freight and get me one of those extractor tool kits.
92' VS 800
Bobbed and dropped

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

If it comes down to it try a dremel and cut slots in the heads to use a flathead screwdriver.