Re: Oil & Temperature Lights Do Not Turn Off

Post by LSU Tiger »

I ordered a rectifier/regulator today.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

Post by LSU Tiger »

Installed rectifier/regulator today. Oil and temperature lights still stay on for several minutes and then go out.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

The oil pressure switch should go out as soon as the oil pressure rises, and has no connection to the other lamp except for the power source. Since they seem to work together, I suspect a wiring problem. Open the warning light panel, unplug the oil pressure light, and make sure it is only wired to the oil pressure switch, and no cuts in the wires. Because of the way it goes together, the wires can get crushed, so look for damaged wire where the wires go into the lamp assembly.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

Where is the water temperature unit shown in the clymer wiring diagram. Is it by the water temperature gauge?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

LSU Tiger wrote:Where is the water temperature unit shown in the clymer wiring diagram. Is it by the water temperature gauge?
Nope - it is in the speedometer! Part #3: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... peedometer
Florissant, MO

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

I thought of one more test. Find the oil pressure switch and unplug the wire from it, then start the bike. The oil light should not come on at all. Once the temperature light goes out, jumper the wire you disconnected to ground, and see what the oil and temp lights do. Only the oil light should come on. If both lights are on initially, or both come on when the oil switch wire is grounded, you have a short between the oil and temp light wires. Why that would make the lights stay on longer is another question.

As for the grounding question, the temperature circuit has a direct wire to the chassis common point so that it gets a 'clean' ground reference, with which to get a more accurate measure of the sensor resistance. Clearly, this connection must be clean and solid for the circuit to work properly.
Florissant, MO

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

I think you are on to something. When I disconnect the oil pressure ground the temperature and oil pressure lights do not come on when ignition is turned on. What do I do next?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

That's very weird - the temp light should come on, before you start it, then turn off right after starting.

Remove the headlamp (carefully, it's plastic); I suggest wrapping the headlamp with something like a towel, so yu can tie it up, to keep it from damaging the wires to it. Open the warning light housing, and make sure the wires are spread out, and see what happens with the oil pressure switch wire connected. I suspect a few of the wires in there have been squeezed together, and are crossing the signals. If the wires are really damaged, it could be a trick fixing them, since the space is so tight.
Florissant, MO

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

I sheared the screw that holds the wire to the oil pressure gauge when tightening it today. I ordered a new oil pressure gauge today. Probably be a week or so getting here. After I get the new oil pressure gauge I think I am going to check the wires where they are connected in the wiring diagram.Under the gas tank I assume. However, if that is one big connector as it appears that is probably a dead end. Those wires should be easier to get to than the warning panel wires. With the bike running and oil and temperature lights on, I have tried shaking the warning panel wires a little where they go into the warning light panel with no results. Thanks very much for your help.

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook

Post by LSU Tiger »

Today I installed a new oil switch. Both oil pressure and temperature lights go out immediately when the bike is cranked. I am not exactly sure but I think the problem was the oil switch screw was sheared and making contact sometimes and sometimes not. Or it could have been a bad oil switch but I doubt it. Anyway, it is fixed now. Thanks very much for your help.