Cruise Control for Intruder 1400?

Cruisco
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 96 VS1400

Cruise Control for Intruder 1400?

Post by Cruisco »

Just coming off right wrist surgery and am dying to get out. Thinking that cruise control will help me get going a bit sooner. Can someone help me out and recommend a couple that have worked out well for you?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Skipper
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: S83

Re: Cruise Control for Intruder 1400?

Post by Skipper »

I picked up a universal throttle lock about six years ago and have been happily using it ever since. I don't need a real cruise control, I think I actually prefer throttle locks. Nice for raising the rpm when doing things like carb synchronizing too. :wink:

It might have been a "vista cruise" if not it's awful similar. It takes up some space on the throttle grip but there's still enough room for my hand.
As a bonus, the locking band is a larger diameter (more mechanical advantage/easier) and I can grab that with my thumb and pointer finger to kind of give my hand a break but not take it right off.
Pretty easy to use, just has a thumb switch that pops over center ,and, using spring tension holds the grip in place. You can set spring tension easily by hand by tightening the nut, no wrench really required. I have.mine set with *just enough tension to hold the throttle but I can still easily adjust or use the throttle as needed. This also makes it easier to grip or hold on because the lock is assisting me.
When "off" the throttle still snaps shut nicely, no interference/drag.

There's other options like just using a fat o ring between the throttle and the switch housing. There's also the kaoko and another one that clips onto your grip and rests against the brake lever. For one reason or another none of those appeal to me. For how and when I use a throttle lock I really like the "Vista". :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I also like the vista cruise system but I drilled out the bar that comes from the bar clamp to the grip lock, turned it upside down and mounted it under the right-hand mirror. the only complaint I have with it is that it comes across the kill switch making it very hard to use the kill switch.

I have some nerve damage from carpal tunnel and if I just hold the throttle for any period of time my hand will start to ache and go numb. The vista cruise allows me to ride for hours with little discomfort.

I will try to get a pic of the setup so you can see how it works.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by ecbaatz »

This is what I have on mine. A little pricey but the billeted aluminum goes great with the rest of the chrome and the fact that it releases when the front break is applied is a nice feature.

https://brakeawayproducts.com/

Eric
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I had a pair of these style grips on my 1500 with the throttle rocker and they were super comfy:

It amazed me how much effort it took out of keeping the throttle open over long distances.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Maybe you could make due with a cramp buster, you can throttle using your palm and an open hand.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:Maybe you could make due with a cramp buster, you can throttle using your palm and an open hand.
I don't know about anyone else but the cramp buster doesn't work for me. Even with the vista cruise, my hand will start going numb if I leave it on the grip for any length of time. I have to remove my hand from the grip, hang it down at my side and work the fingers to get the feeling back.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote: The vista cruise allows me to ride for hours with little discomfort.
Herb wrote:Even with the vista cruise, my hand will start going numb if I leave it on the grip for any length of time. I have to remove my hand from the grip, hang it down at my side and work the fingers to get the feeling back.

Those two statements don't make a lot of sense together.

I guess for the OP I would try a clamp on throttle rocker first up because they are the cheapest option. If that doesn't work, maybe a cruise control / friction lock type.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

hillsy wrote:
Herb wrote: The vista cruise allows me to ride for hours with little discomfort.
Herb wrote:Even with the vista cruise, my hand will start going numb if I leave it on the grip for any length of time. I have to remove my hand from the grip, hang it down at my side and work the fingers to get the feeling back.

Those two statements don't make a lot of sense together.

I guess for the OP I would try a clamp on throttle rocker first up because they are the cheapest option. If that doesn't work, maybe a cruise control / friction lock type.
Reading comprehension is not your long suit, eh?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
Did you mean strong suit?

I guess in your world "any length of time" must be longer than "hours at a time"?

I see you're back to reading my posts.

Welcome back, Herb!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

hillsy wrote:
Herb wrote:

I guess in your world "any length of time" must be longer than "hours at a time"?

Welcome back, Herb!
I was checking your posts on the tech board, but not the general boards, guess I have to stop doing that too.

Just for YOUR education, By being able to take my hand completely off the grip and work the fingers every so often I am able to ride for a couple of hours at a time and all day in total. The stupid cramp buster doesn't EVER allow me to take my hand off the grip, while riding.

You are as big a shit head on the tech boards as you are on the general boards.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:
hillsy wrote:
Herb wrote:

Welcome back, Herb!
I was checking your posts on the tech board, but not the general boards, guess I have to stop doing that too.

Just for YOUR education, By being able to take my hand completely off the grip and work the fingers every so often I am able to ride for a couple of hours at a time and all day in total. The stupid cramp buster doesn't EVER allow me to take my hand off the grip, while riding.

You are as big a shit head on the tech boards as you are on the general boards.
Whilst you are right in that the "cramp buster" doesn't allow you to remove your hand completely from the throttle, I found I could ride all day with just the edge of my palm holding the throttle and not have to exert any finger pressure at all on the grip. This was a revelation because I had a similar thing where I had to rest my hand after a while without it. Also the chrome type grips with the rubber "bulbs" like in the picture I posted above are super comfortable by themselves.

It's suck it and see with this stuff. I tried one of the friction lock types and it freaked me out a bit with the throttle being "locked" on as such. Didn't like it at all.

And thanks for the compliment - being called a shithead by you is actually just that.... [emoji106]

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

hillsy wrote:I tried one of the friction lock types and it freaked me out a bit with the throttle being "locked" on as such. Didn't like it at all.
I broke the back of my right hand and partially severed a tendon in a bad wreck years back, makes my hand ache at random. Mine came with a throttle lock on it, I like being able to lock it and rest my grip. A cramp buster would probably work just as well, but it's easy enough to unlock it, twist it closed even if it's "locked", or pull in the clutch first in an emergency. The engine might wind up for a bit before I unlock it, but I've almost never had to do that anyway. ;IDunno: It's nice on the highway to be able to switch hands for a bit after they've gone tingly from the vibration of the engine.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
hillsy wrote:I tried one of the friction lock types and it freaked me out a bit with the throttle being "locked" on as such. Didn't like it at all.
I broke the back of my right hand and partially severed a tendon in a bad wreck years back, makes my hand ache at random. Mine came with a throttle lock on it, I like being able to lock it and rest my grip. A cramp buster would probably work just as well, but it's easy enough to unlock it, twist it closed even if it's "locked", or pull in the clutch first in an emergency. The engine might wind up for a bit before I unlock it, but I've almost never had to do that anyway. ;IDunno: It's nice on the highway to be able to switch hands for a bit after they've gone tingly from the vibration of the engine.

All good. I'm just saying what works for one doesn't always work for all. Easiest to start with the cheapest thing and work from there.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:

That is the kind of a problem I have but mine is from carpal tunnel and the damage that was done to my elbow when I chipped the outside of the socket in a bicycle wreck many years ago. I have to take my hand off of the grip and shake it out. I tried a cramp buster and it doesn't work with my problem.

BTW, the vista cruise, or any other type of throttle lock, will work like the cramp buster in that you don't HAVE to take your hand away, it just allows you to do so.

I just took a trip of 800 miles, 400 up and 400 home, on the GS1100. I made the run home in just under 7 hours with getting caught in 1 way traffic with a pilot car (25 minute delay and 4 miles of under 30 mph), a traffic jam on I-5 from construction (dead stop so I detoured through Mt Shasta City and all the streets are 25mph), having to detour through a couple of other small towns, stopping for gas and eats, I still averaged 57 mph. No way I could have made that run without the throttle lock even though most of the time I had my hand on the throttle, just not gripping it. A cramp buster would have NEVER worked.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by ecbaatz »

I highly recommend the Breakaway. It is machined aluminum and really looks nice on the bike. Hardly realize it is there. A little expensive but it is not going to break,

https://brakeawayproducts.com/
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

Painlesstom
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 VS1400GL

Post by Painlesstom »

VS 1400 can use a long 10-32 screw with a washer and spring to hold the throttle cable tab while allowing the throttle sleeve to be held. Tighten till it holds, but it can be easily overpowered by hand to return to idle if needed quickly. I made the knob, but it wouldn't be hard to find a knob and make something yourself.

Night_Wolf
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2006 1400 Intruder

Post by Night_Wolf »

Poor Mans Cruise Control, can be found in the Wrenching Pages of my Intruder Site, linked in my sig file :cheers:

Since I sold my 2005 Wee Strom, every bike since then, including the 07 Wee Strom, put my hands to sleep :bang: Picked up a Moto Guzzi V85 TT last June, with factory Cruise Control & now my hands are great. Still have the issue with my 1400 :bang:
Type @ Ya'll Later
Night_Wolf

Intruder Alert Canada/Night_Wolf's Lair

Alberta Adventure Riders

2006 VS1400 Image 2020 V85TT Image