question-

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Vs1400

question-

Post by Bobbersrule »

Hi, been a while Work to ride so I ride to work

Ok so all has been going well only had a couple of weeks I couldn't ride (rain sux) Love texas weather, can ride almost 365, 2 weeks ago, get off work, meet my wife at my daughters, park bike, next day have to run to house, gonna take the bike as it is 78 outside & sunny, put in key, turn it on, lights come on, go off, I got nothing, so i start taking wires off & making sure they are clean & making a solid connection. nope no lights, Nada, nothing, take off cover behind stator cover, omfg the connector i had installed with the stator i replaced last year is melted & the 3 wires are fused together, well SFDH.
ok get them separated & repaired, turn on key, Nothing, hooked up jumper cables, bike fired up, disconnect cables, bike instantly dies, great stator not charging. All fuses are great, so i ordered a new stator, this time direct from mfg & this time no need to connect in this same area, the new stator came with pick ups & had full wire loom to run up under seat & connect, also came with a new regulator/rectifier. so i get the parts in on Monday, Tuesday tear it down, replace it all & turn on bike i have nothing, sfdh again, hook up cables, bike fires, pull cables, stays running, HAZAAA!!!! let bike get warm, I am guessing battery dead so that's why i had to jump it, once warm, bike running better than ever. Get on it, raise kick stand all the way, pull in clutch, kick into first, bike dies. so with all this being said my question is, could this have fried the kick stand switch & battery ?????

battery is under warranty so i can get it replaced no prob, do i need to jump the switch for kickstand, & just unplug from switch & connect together or what????

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Re: question-

Post by Bobbersrule »

Please, someone, could the kickstand switch be my issue?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

Bobbersrule wrote:Please, someone, could the kickstand switch be my issue?
When you hooked up the jumper cables Did you hook them to the Pos and Neg on the battery Or Pos on the Battery and grnd to the frame

If to the Battery it is possible your connections need cleaned and retightened or you have a bad battery. If to the Pos on the batt and grnd to the frame then it is possible you have a bad grnd.
Either way if the bike turns over with out jumping the kickstand safety then your switch is good

You can check your grnd with a test light Hook the clip to the pos side of the batt and touch the engine with the probe end
A Bad battery or a bad ground can fry your new regulator/rectifier if left un checked

I hope this helps

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Jumper cables were to positive of battery and a bolt on battery box, but what gets me is it ran great till i put kickstand all the way up and put it in gear, died instantly like the stand was down. So thats why i askes, could the melting of the plug block and fusing of the three wires together could have caused the switch to burn out clutch switch is fine or else I couldn't have started it it wouldn't start with clutch out pull clutch lever in and it starts or turns over so it's working it's the kickstand switch I am worried about I'm possibly my battery too

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

If I recall correctly, the wires for the side stand switch pass through the same area as the stator output wires, under the cover over the clutch slave cylinder. I seem to also recall there is a connection there, that you can easily use to bypass the safety switch. If that came apart when you worked on the stator, it would behave as you describe. Or, if the wires from the stator damaged the safety switch wires and caused one to open, same thing would happen. Just take that cover off and have a look.

This is all from imperfect memory from the purple IA site, so maybe I have some details wrong.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Bobbersrule wrote:Jumper cables were to positive of battery and a bolt on battery box, but what gets me is it ran great till i put kickstand all the way up and put it in gear, died instantly like the stand was down. So thats why i askes, could the melting of the plug block and fusing of the three wires together could have caused the switch to burn out clutch switch is fine or else I couldn't have started it it wouldn't start with clutch out pull clutch lever in and it starts or turns over so it's working it's the kickstand switch I am worried about I'm possibly my battery too
If you hooked up to the positive side on the battery and the ground to the frame Then I would check the Ground connection from the battery to the frame. It is probably the Negative connection at the battery. A wiggle test could help you locate the short.
It does sound like the kickstand safety switch is bad. I could be mistaken But that's what it sounds like to me. Many owners Bypass this safety and the Clutch safety switches.
I would use an Ohm meter to test it
I dont think it is the harness if it starts and runs then dies when you put the Kickstand up.

Best of Luck
Let us know what you find and enjoy
Life is short Ride often

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok so it was the POS battery AGAIN, company where I got it from already replaced the first 1 last September & this one lasted till 2.5 weeks ago give or take a few days now they are replacing this battery at no cost & since my bike sits outside with no garage & I ride around 800 miles a week and this is the 2nd of their batteries to die, they are upgrading me to a Gel Battery. I know the battery must have died or something, which in turn made my stator work harder, making connection block heat up &melt & fuse the wires together, then murdering a cell in the battery. So after replacing the stator & this time the rectifier (because they came as a package from Caltric, I took the battery out of my son in laws Yamaha vstar 650 & putting in my bike, then turn on key & I have dash lights & the bike started, ran freaking awesome on top of that, so now just waiting on the new battery to get here & I should be good to go.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Bobbersrule wrote:Ok so it was the POS battery AGAIN, company where I got it from already replaced the first 1 last September & this one lasted till 2.5 weeks ago give or take a few days now they are replacing this battery at no cost & since my bike sits outside with no garage & I ride around 800 miles a week and this is the 2nd of their batteries to die, they are upgrading me to a Gel Battery. I know the battery must have died or something, which in turn made my stator work harder, making connection block heat up &melt & fuse the wires together, then murdering a cell in the battery. So after replacing the stator & this time the rectifier (because they came as a package from Caltric, I took the battery out of my son in laws Yamaha vstar 650 & putting in my bike, then turn on key & I have dash lights & the bike started, ran freaking awesome on top of that, so now just waiting on the new battery to get here & I should be good to go.
Glad you figured it out
Honestly I would have figured it was the negative connection by the way you had the cables hooked up