Clutch Not Working

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Clutch Not Working

Post by RapidRoy »

Hello fellas,

I've been away for a few months and my bikes been in the shed for the winter, since about November or so. I went out today since it's starting to warm up and I noticed right away that my clutch leaver was soft, wasn't engaging at all when pulled in. Now I know the system probably needs to be bled but I'm wondering how it would get air in it in the first place, the bike just sat for a few months..

Never had any issues with it before, although when I was riding it in the summer I noticed when I pulled the clutch leaver in it would make the subtle bubbling noise but always worked like normal. Today I leaned the bike over and turned the handlebars so the reservoir was level, I took the cover off, and the rubber piece out (which looked brand new and the fluid was full and clean) and I pumped the leaver several hundred times, air bubbled out and the fluid popped up a bit but the clutch lever didnt get any stiffer so I gave up. I also tried squeezing the leaver in slowly and loosening the banjo bolt then tightening the blot and releasing the lever several times but that didnt work either.

Can anyone help me with this, maybe it's happened to others? Thanks guys

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Clutch Not Working

Post by WintrSol »

Check along the flexible lines for any sign of fluid leakage, and around the slave cylinder.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Clutch Not Working

Post by Designer »

Hi RapidRoy! [space] That you got as much air as you did is rather telling. [space] Let's take this by-the-numbers.

First, (If your fluid isn't dark) let's see if we can get ALL the Air out of your system...see what we get,..then go from there.

Here is My Technique for getting all the Micro-bubbles out. I have used this on bikes whose Rider swear they have no air in their system,...and were surprised when I did this for them:

Method for getting all the Air out:

1. In order to make the Reservoir as Level as possible, I turn the Bars over to the right as far as possible. To help get the Bike more vertical, it might help to add some wood under the Kickstand,…but do keep the bike stable. Then Temporarily Relocate the Reservoir on the Bars so that the Banjo Fitting is Lower than the Reservoir Bottom. Do this by Tilting the Reservoir so the Banjo Fitting is Downwards, but the Reservoir is still Level as possible Side-to-Side.

2. Before you take off the Reservoir Cover, be sure to cover the Tank and other Painted Surfaces with Plastic as Brake Fluid is a Good Paint Remover,…..and have several Rags on hand to wipe up any drips and such.

3. Wait 5-10 minutes…..(this makes sure any Micro-bubbles have Migrated to the Top of the System)

4. Then grab a Rag before taking the Reservoir Cover off (so as to be ready to catch any fluid that might spill out.) and remove the Cover.

5. Now this is the Important Part,.......S-L-O-W-L-Y pull the Brake/Clutch Lever all the way in (slowly avoids a Geyser of Fluid that gets all over the place),...…Hold it in and count to 20. Don't cheat and count only to 10 thinking you'll save time. All you will do is delay your Success. Why you are doing this is so as to allow any Micro-Bubbles to Rise back upwards to the Banjo Fitting again. When they do, you are ready to “Pull” them back and out into the Reservoir with the Next Step

6. Then,...Release the Lever Quickly. After you do, look at the Two Tiny Holes in the Bottom of the Reservoir, you might see some Bubbles show up there.

What you just did was to "Pull" any Air Bubbles from the Banjo Fitting Upwards and into the Reservoir (they can get kinda "Stuck" in to Topmost part of the Banjo Fitting,... between the Bolt and the Curved Inside part of the Top of the Banjo Fitting).

7. Next I suggest you pull the Lever “In-and-Out” several times (only 1/2" to 3/4" though,...not all the way!). What this does, I found out, is to help get those Micro-Bubbles to show up at those Tiny Holes in the Reservoir Bottom and come up and out.

Do Steps 5, 6 and 7 several times, and then WAIT again 10 Minutes, (so any bubbles left can rise again)......and repeat this until you get no more bubbles.

When you feel you're done, cover the Reservoir, move it back in place and see what you get.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!