Plug colour

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Plug colour

Post by m2h »

Hi guys, just finished a carb clean and a re synch done a few rides and thought id check the plugs(new ones) and they were dry and sooty after got home and idled into the garage. Leaned the A/F screws a bit went for a burn and did a plug chop at 80 cos thats generally as fast as i go. The heat range looked ok for standard NGK's on both, front plug colour was dark tan with about 80% soot on the base ring. A touch lean? Rear plug was similar but full soot on base ring. I will leave that alone (bit rich) Have backed out front A/F screw 1/8th turn so that should be good. Have looked at some charts
and they seem to be in the "good" range. Was wondering if any of you would like to comment on what your plug colours are. Our fuel in NZ (91octane) may be different to yours so would like some comparison. Piks would be good [emoji2]
Tried some on my phone but not too good at that close range :blink:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Plug colour

Post by WintrSol »

m2h wrote: Tried some on my phone but not too good at that close range :blink:
Just FYI, try using a set of cheap reading glasses from a drug store, holding one eyeglass lens in front of the camera lens. The power of the glasses (1+ to 3+) determines how close up you can get.

Tan on the insulator near the tip sounds about right; soot down inside and around the metal shell sounds normal, too. Our fuel has up to 10% ethanol in it, so the colors come out different.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

WintrSol wrote:
m2h wrote: Tried some on my phone but not too good at that close range :blink:
Just FYI, try using a set of cheap reading glasses from a drug store, holding one eyeglass lens in front of the camera lens. The power of the glasses (1+ to 3+) determines how close up you can get.

Tan on the insulator near the tip sounds about right; soot down inside and around the metal shell sounds normal, too. Our fuel has up to 10% ethanol in it, so the colors come out different.

Hey thanks for that tip mate, will try it next time :bow: Yeah i think its about right now. Remembered your gas has ethanol in it thats why i asked. Thanks for the reply :cheers: :cheers:
M2H

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The ceramic should be white if you are running ethanol fuel...

https://www.alkydigger.net/TechInfo/rea ... -chilando/

The final area to examine is the ceramic. The color should be a like-new white, but, to be on the safe side, a light tan will do. If the ceramic is shiny black, the plug was probably fouled by oil. Dark gray or black is a good sign of an over-rich condition. Glazing, shiny white, yellowing or pitting on the ceramic is a sign of overheating. A white fuzz between the center electrode and the ceramic is known as “cement boil,” which is what you get when the material that holds the electrode and ceramic together gets too hot.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Herb wrote:The ceramic should be white if you are running ethanol fuel...

https://www.alkydigger.net/TechInfo/rea ... -chilando/

The final area to examine is the ceramic. The color should be a like-new white, but, to be on the safe side, a light tan will do. If the ceramic is shiny black, the plug was probably fouled by oil. Dark gray or black is a good sign of an over-rich condition. Glazing, shiny white, yellowing or pitting on the ceramic is a sign of overheating. A white fuzz between the center electrode and the ceramic is known as “cement boil,” which is what you get when the material that holds the electrode and ceramic together gets too hot.
Thanks Herb, Just did a search and NZ fuels 91 especialy generally dont contain ethanol. Gull sells 10% ethanol in most of its product. Mobil does 3% in some of its fuel but mainly in the main town centres(about 3or4 nation wide). I feel pretty comrfortable with my settings now. Just a tad rich. Thanks for the input guys. Happy safe riding, hope the winter is receding for y'all [emoji106]
cheers :cheers: :cheers:
M2H