Turn signal tailight woes.

vowtoo
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1998 intruder 1400

Turn signal tailight woes.

Post by vowtoo »

Rode the other day and noticed my front turn signals weren't working. Got home and realised the brakelight and taillight weren't either. Checked the fuse it was blown. Replaced it. Now the front signals and brake light work, but the taillight and rear signals still don't. Checked all other fuses and continuity in the rear tailight and signals and bulbs. Everything checked out good. Any thoughts.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Turn signal tailight woes.

Post by Herb »

vowtoo wrote:Rode the other day and noticed my front turn signals weren't working. Got home and realised the brakelight and taillight weren't either. Checked the fuse it was blown. Replaced it. Now the front signals and brake light work, but the taillight and rear signals still don't. Checked all other fuses and continuity in the rear tailight and signals and bulbs. Everything checked out good. Any thoughts.
All if those ground through a single point, I would say that you have lost the ground wire connection. Remove the seats and check all of the connections and continuity of the black with white tracer wire.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

vowtoo
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1998 intruder 1400

Post by vowtoo »

Update: head light, tail light, brake light, plate light and front signal running lights all work. When i turn the blinker switch on both front signal lights flash and the tail light flashes in unison. But no rear running or turn signal light.
I unplugged the b/w wires from both rear signal and connected a lead from my volt meter to each end. Good continuity. I disconnected the fuse box and checked continuity from the connector back to where i unplugged each turn signal and have continuity.
I also tried jumping a ground from the turn signal straight to the negative on the battery and still got nothing.
Idk maybe it's not the ground but the power? I also replaced the turn signal relay.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I think you may have some wires damaged in the harness, probably under the seat. It's not unusual for the harness to shift, and then the seat crushes it a bit. The next likely spot is where the harness goes from the tank area into the headlamp, because it flexes so much there.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The rear turn signals are not running lights so you would not have anything but turn signals.

Unless you recently worked on the bike and might have pinched the wires, you have some wires broken and or shorted together, somewhere. The only way to find the problem is to inspect the wiring harness. I would take one of the rear T/S wires and follow it from the T/S to the front of the bike until I found where the wires are messed up.

The wire bundle runs alongside the frame under the tank and I have had some issues with rubbing there. it is on the right side of the bike.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

So, you have a day in front of you, removing the seat and tank, and studying the harness from one end to the other. Be patient - harness problems can be a real PITA, or you may find it right away.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie