speedo gear

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: s83

speedo gear

Post by Luis_o_98 »

so im trying to put the wheel back on the bike after i changed the bearings and i cant tighten the axle enough where the speedo gear wont spin without making the wheel not spin as well. any ideas? when i loosen the axle enough for the wheel to spin the speedo gear moves with the wheel too

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Re: speedo gear

Post by Leckbass »

Luis_o_98 wrote:so im trying to put the wheel back on the bike after i changed the bearings and i cant tighten the axle enough where the speedo gear wont spin without making the wheel not spin as well. any ideas? when i loosen the axle enough for the wheel to spin the speedo gear moves with the wheel too
Make sure the bearing has been driven in Far Enough. Make sure the two tabs on the speedo gear are aligned with two of the four spacers on the Wheel. The speedo may wiggle back and forth a little bit even when the wheel axle is torque down, but it should stop with very little resistance from your hand or when you attach the cable to it.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

Also make sure that the spacers are on the right place and facing the right direction.

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: s83

Post by Luis_o_98 »

checked the bearings and even tried to set them in a bit further. cleaned the speedo hub and wheel where it attaches. checked the spacer. still having the same problem
:bang:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Check the manual on bearing installation, One bearing (I forget which, maybe the brake side) is put in first and seated in the bore on the outer race, then the inner spacer, then the 2nd bearing is seated against the inner race and spacer....it is not seated in the counterbore for the outer race.
If you seated the wrong side in the wheel (presumably the speedo side), the bearing is too deep to let the speedo drive seat properly.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Nav is pretty much correct. You need to check the spacer tube, on the 800's this is not a spacer but a distance tube. The manual states to NOT fully butt the bearings up but to leave a small space on the rotor side bearing seat. The reason being that the ID of the distance tube is quite a bit larger than the diameter of the axle bolt so if both bearings are butted up it traps the tube on both the inner and outer races of the bearing. So as you torque up the axle it traps them even tighter. Remove the wheel, tap out the rotor side bearing about 1/16th inch, remount the wheel and as you torque up the correct amount of load is placed on the bearings.
If the tube is a good snug fit on the axle it would be a spacer, if it is a real sloppy fit it would be a distance tube. They serve different purposes.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.