No start funky ignition switch

RoadHammer91VS
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki VS1400

No start funky ignition switch

Post by RoadHammer91VS »

Hey guys and gals good evening, I tried to search for threads before making this so forgive me if there is some old material lingering around I missed. I’m just putting my 91 1400 back together it seems to be getting fuel to the carburetor with the new aftermarket fuel pump just fine. I’m getting it to crank but the weird part is on the actual ignition switch when I turn the key all the way to ignition the bike is completely dead. No lights or anything at all. However if I turn it back to the “on” setting The running lights and headlight will come on and with the clutch depressed it will crank.
Problem is it won’t fire, I’m wondering if this is normal for the ignition switches on these? I am assuming my issue is probably ignition I am probably not getting spark. Fed up with it for tonight so I will run a spark test on it tomorrow I guess. I’m just wondering if the key is supposed to be in the “ ignition “ Position maybe that is the root of the cause of my issue. Any advice at all would be very appreciated.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: No start funky ignition switch

Post by navigator »

One click is the run position, everything is powered.
Next click (all the way) is the park position, only the tail light is powered.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Check your fuses.

RoadHammer91VS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by RoadHammer91VS »

Ok so that eliminates the key switch itself, all fuses are good. Before I tore it apart the guy bought it from had it running in front of me momentarily on WD-40 I’ve gotten the carburetors rebuilt and still have it someone disassembled. Are there any key components that require they are bolted to the frame for a ground or something? The ignition coils themselves are still installed I never removed them. I have a feeling I’m just overlooking something.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The cdi needs to be plugged in, under the seat.
probably need to put the seat on.

RoadHammer91VS
Tricycles are Cool

Post by RoadHammer91VS »

I did remember that from disassembly. I plugged them back in but the discouraging part was out of the two connectors a long one and the short four or six pin pigtail had some less than impressive connections. Looks like somebody used some parts store spade connectors to do a half assed repair. Maybe I’ll have to start there, definitely think I flooded it. Left carburetor settings where they were for the rebuild including leaving the sync cable attached like the repair manual suggested. Hoping they’re close enough to at least to get it to run or try to fire then I can tweak them from there. Just hoping to see signs of life as a starting point.