Bike won't start

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Bike won't start

Post by JamesC »

Last year I bought a GBat battery for my 03 1400 Intruder. It's been cold in New Jersey this winter, but that battery would always kick over the bike. Today was kind of warm (45 degrees) and I took my bike out. I had to use the choke, but it kicked over after a couple of tries. I rode to the store and turned off the bike. When I came out I inserted the key and everything came on; lights, indicators, etc. But when I hit the starter button.....nothing. It wouldn't turn over, not even try. I jump started it with jumper cables, but it wouldn't jump battery to battery. I had to put the positive clamp on the starter nut. Then it kicked right over. I rode home and let it idle for a while. But when I shut her down, I couldn't start it again. I am getting a reading of 12.50 from my tester with my bike off, so I don't think it's the battery. Bronx Intruder told me to take off the seat and left panel and jump the starter relay. I couldn't find it for the life of me. I know it's supposed to be round with 2 screws on top, but I didn't see it. Can anyone post a picture of where it is, or give me a general idea where to look? Is it forward of or back of the fuse box? Oh, that's another question. Could it be a blown fuse? Thanks, guys.
:bow:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Bike won't start

Post by navigator »

Probably your clutch safety switch.
Jumper the 2 wires under the clutch master cylinder.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Either that or the starter button. Probably more likely to be the starter button or solenoid if it fired up with the jump straight to the starter motor.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

My clutch safety switch is already bypassed.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Check that the emergency stop switch is in the run position.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

While it doesn't sound like a battery problem, 12.5 is too low either way. Good luck with the problem, keep an eye on your battery

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

I have a "Battery Tender" brand trickle charger. Should I connect it to the bike for the day and see if I can get a higher reading?

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

JamesC wrote:I have a "Battery Tender" brand trickle charger. Should I connect it to the bike for the day and see if I can get a higher reading?
It couldn't hurt, again I don't think it's a battery problem. But reading 12.5 on a 12-volt battery is actually pretty low.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

How about the kickstand safety switch? I usually hit the kill button before I put down the kickstand, but this time I wanted to keep the bike running and thought I was in neutral, so I put down the kickstand which is what shut the bike down cuz I was still in gear. It looks like it's working, the little piston is engaged when I pull the kickstand up, but could that have done something? It's raining like hell right now so I'm not going out to the garage, but when I do I'd just like to have an idea of what I'm looking for.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

You can bypass the kickstand switch by jumpering it.
Any safety switch will cause your issue:
kill
clutch
sidestand
neutral
start
ignition

The starter solenoid behind the left side cover can also do it.
If your battery is a wet type, top off with distilled water before you charge it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

A bad connection on one of the battery cables will cause this. A couple of years ago I stopped for gas, the bike wouldn't start. I found the cable at the starter was corroded. Pulled it off and cleaned things up and it fired right up.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Do what Herb said.

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

Well, I also got the battery issue the past Saturday, but the bike still has the original OEM battery from 2007. The battery is always on a tender type trickle charger when parked in the garage.
So, I took a 6 miles short ride to the CHP office to have the loud exhaust fix-it ticket signed off, but they were closed on the weekends. Went back home and decided to get fuel and after that, put the key to ON, pressed the starter button it went click and then nothing. Off/On the switch and I have no light, nothing. I then called my wife to pick me up and went home to get a spare battery (4-year old, but fully charged) from my other bike and see if I can jump start it. Before I hooked up the spare battery, I tried one last time to see if it would start, this time, all the lights are up, but as soon as I hit the starter button, all lights went off and then very dim. Hooked up the spared battery through the tender's quick connector (I believe Battery Tender do not recommend this due to the quick connector's wires too thin), all the lights are on and bright, but pushing the starter button did not engage the decompression and the engine did not turn over.
I was only a mile away from home, so I pushed the bike home, put the battery on tender and 12 hours later, the tender's light green, I then tried to start the bike again, but again, all the lights would go dim after pressing the starter button. I am pretty sure my battery is dead, so I took it off the bike and the cable connections were tight with no corrosion.
A new battery will be in later this week (ordered the Yuasa) and I will report back.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Okay, so I really ripped into this job today. I wanted to check the starter relay, but first I had to drop the rear coil and remove the cover under the seat that that holds all the electrical connections in place. When I jumped the relay, the bike started right up. So I need a new starter relay. The lowest price I could find was 65 dollars online. There's a bike store nearby, but they want 87 dollars. Anyone know where to get one on the cheap? Well, at least I found the problem. Thanks for all the help, fellas. I appreciate it.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

JamesC wrote:Okay, so I really ripped into this job today. I wanted to check the starter relay, but first I had to drop the rear coil and remove the cover under the seat that that holds all the electrical connections in place. When I jumped the relay, the bike started right up. So I need a new starter relay. The lowest price I could find was 65 dollars online. There's a bike store nearby, but they want 87 dollars. Anyone know where to get one on the cheap? Well, at least I found the problem. Thanks for all the help, fellas. I appreciate it.
Did you check that you are getting voltage at the solenoid when you hit the starter button? Jumping the relay wont tell you if it's just the starter button that needs cleaning.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Yeah, I had someone helping me test the voltage along the way. It's not the starter switch, it's the starter relay (solenoid?). Need a new one. We tried disconnecting and connecting it, making sure all the wires were tight, but it's shot. I'm glad it was rather simple. I have the old one off and just need to put the new one in. Also checked all other wires and everything looks good. I should be riding in a couple of days.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

[emoji106]

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

JamesC wrote:Okay, so I really ripped into this job today. I wanted to check the starter relay, but first I had to drop the rear coil and remove the cover under the seat that that holds all the electrical connections in place. When I jumped the relay, the bike started right up. So I need a new starter relay. The lowest price I could find was 65 dollars online. There's a bike store nearby, but they want 87 dollars. Anyone know where to get one on the cheap? Well, at least I found the problem. Thanks for all the help, fellas. I appreciate it.
Pretty sure a heck lot cheaper than that. Tried ebay or amazon?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »