Bike won't start

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Bike won't start

Post by Herb »

The relay is the same on my '82 GS1100. Even the book shows the same number. I believe that any suzuki start relay is the same.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

Thanks for the link, Bronx Intruder. But how in the hell could it be so much cheaper than the OEM Sites or Parts Stores? I mean, 7 dollars? That's a ridiculously low price. It looks exactly like what I took off, but what about quality? It just blows my mind how cheap they are.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: 1992 Intruder 1400

Post by Leckbass »

I can't vouch for the quality, but for seven bucks compared to 70 bucks, I'd give it a chance. I usually look on eBay for stuff that has a few legitimate reviews. I'll do the same thing on Amazon.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Herb wrote:The relay is the same on my '82 GS1100. Even the book shows the same number. I believe that any suzuki start relay is the same.
Starter solenoids all do the same thing. The only difference will be the way the secondary circuit is wired (connections) and the amp rating.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

The cheap ones can come apart and be maintained. The best is not always the most expensive.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Well, I got my starter relay from e-bay today and hooked it up. I pressed the starter button and she fired right up, better than before. The only problem I ran into was bolting the new one on. The left bolt is easy to access, and I had no problem. The bolt on the right wing is very difficult to access, and I could not even get it started. I dropped it a couple of times and it would take me 20 minutes to find it each time. I finally got aggravated and walked away. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe I just have stubby fingers or something, but if I can't get it I'm wondering if just one bolt will hold it on. Or maybe I could use a zip-tie, I don't know. Freakin' aggravating, man.

:bang:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... d&_sacat=0

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

You could try using a magnet to start the bolt.....or put the bolt in partway, cut a slot in the mounting tab and slide it under, tighten, then add bolt 2. :ahha:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:You could try using a magnet to start the bolt.....or put the bolt in partway, cut a slot in the mounting tab and slide it under, tighten, then add bolt 2. :ahha:
Or put cream on your knob while press button B while holding down F2. Do you know any Japanese swear words like loud as you can Fakiyack twatytatioo.

This roughly translates to use a tie wrap.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

I can swear in several languages, Fred. :evil:

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

JamesC wrote:Well, I got my starter relay from e-bay today and hooked it up. I pressed the starter button and she fired right up, better than before. The only problem I ran into was bolting the new one on. The left bolt is easy to access, and I had no problem. The bolt on the right wing is very difficult to access, and I could not even get it started. I dropped it a couple of times and it would take me 20 minutes to find it each time. I finally got aggravated and walked away. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe I just have stubby fingers or something, but if I can't get it I'm wondering if just one bolt will hold it on. Or maybe I could use a zip-tie, I don't know. Freakin' aggravating, man.

:bang:

Is this the one you went with?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... d&_sacat=0

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Yes, Lekbass; I went with the one for $7.00. There was only one review, and the guy said he fried 3 of them on the first start, but he must have done something wrong. The one I received looked exactly like the one that came off, and it fired right up on the first try stronger than ever. And it has kept working. I'm glad I bought it and saved 74 dollars in the process. Thank you.

Leckbass
Got My M1 License!

Post by Leckbass »

JamesC wrote:Yes, Lekbass; I went with the one for $7.00. There was only one review, and the guy said he fried 3 of them on the first start, but he must have done something wrong. The one I received looked exactly like the one that came off, and it fired right up on the first try stronger than ever. And it has kept working. I'm glad I bought it and saved 74 dollars in the process. Thank you.
Cool! Good deal! Good luck with it.