2007 S83 STATOR Replacement - ANY HINTS

2007zukes83
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2007 Suzuki S83

2007 S83 STATOR Replacement - ANY HINTS

Post by 2007zukes83 »

I realized the stator is bad on my S83 so I've ordered one, along with rectifier and gasket. It seems like the peg bracket (which runs and connects underneath the bike) will have to be removed (dropped) to allow access to the left side cover housing the stator. I have tested the stator and it is bad. I had the exact issue with my 2005 C90 but the dealer replaced the stator / rectifier, at my cost, back then. C90 had ~28K when stator went and my S83 has 47K. Anyway, just curious if anyone has replaced a stator on an S83 or vs1400 and what is entailed in the en devour. If you have any time saving hints (or should I say, have any time wasting things I should avoid) would be appreciated. I'm not a mechanic but after a full day of riding I did stay at a holiday inn express.

Regards,
Chris
Chris

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 2007 S83 STATOR Replacement - ANY HINTS

Post by navigator »

Welcome :cheers:
I'm not sure about the S83 but the S50 has small cotter type clips at the ends of 4 of the footpeg bracket bolts.
They must be removed before removing the bracket.

2007zukes83
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 2007zukes83 »

I saw that whilst digging for info but it was a vs1400. I'm about to start the breakdown as the parts come in tomorrow. Thanks
Chris

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

The 1400 also has the clips in the footpeg bracket. They are on the top of the bracket and kind of hard to see. The first time I did a stator I didn't know about them and the first bolt caused me a lot of problems.

The hard part is getting the wires out of the rubber block that goes through the housing AND getting them to reseal properly. Have some black RTV on hand to seal it.

Watch out for the starter gear. There are spacers on the idler gear that have to go back in correctly, the shaft for the gear has a tendency to pull out with the cover and everything falls out.

Take a long hard look at the routing of the wires and make sure you put them back the same way.

Most of the stators come with long wires that have to be cut to length, make sure you leave plenty of length in case you have an issue in the future. The first one I did I cut it to the "correct" length and later had a problem with corrosion on the connector and it melted the connector. Had to splice extra wire in because they were too short since I had to trim them back to clean up the wires. While it might be a good idea to solder them together, if you ever have to pull the engine it is an issue.

I have done this job 3 times, but never in under 100,000 miles except for one that didn't look good when I put it in.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

2007zukes83
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 2007zukes83 »

Thanks much for the helpful info. I got it all broken down. The foot peg bracket did not have the cotter pins so that made life a little easier. I only had one gear come out when pulling the cover off. I put it back and other than that everything looks kosher. Got to look up how to completely remove the old gasket remnants without using a razor on the metal. I traced the two plugs that feed from the stator to under the seat, so I got that part handled. My next move, tomorrow, will be to take the rectifier out. Hopefully the new stator and rectifier will arrive tomorrow so I can get things put back together. I have to wait until Friday and hopefully the new gasket will be here. With the S83 being so old and not a real popular bike, in terms of sales, nobody carries the parts in house.

Regards
Chris

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I use an unsharpened metal putty knife to remove the gaskets on aluminum. It isn't sharp enough to gouge the aluminum but it will scrape the gasket.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.