Fairing without buffeting?

Johnfrmcal
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Fairing without buffeting?

Post by Johnfrmcal »

Anybody put a fairing on their 1400 that doesn't buffet the heck out of your head? I have a fairly tall windscreen on mine now, and it's great up to 60mph...70+mph and I've got little drummer boy beating on my head. Anybody put a fairing on theirs that provides smooth air for your head? (I'm 5'8" so I'm not that tall). I could go with a little bikini fairing just to keep the blast off my chest and put my head in clear air, or I could go with a tall one that provides a lot of protection, it really doesn't matter to me, I just want at least enough protection to keep me from blowing off the seat at freeway speed, but most of all NO BUFFETING! Any recommendations? And pics if you've got 'em...

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Re: Fairing without buffeting?

Post by Spacecoast »

I don't have a direct answer, but I've never been impressed with any fairing that is too tall. If you don't wear a good full face helmet, and a proper fitting motorcycle jacket, then get them. That way air flow at speed usually is not an issue. What is an issue, which you mentioned, is air pressure on your chest, which a small fairing/windscreen should solve. I'll be interested if anyone has specific recommendations.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

When I got my 1500 it had a slightly cut down fairing on it. The guy I bought it off was a short guy so it suited him, but it was annoying for me.

The guy gave me 2 other screens (including a stock one), so I cut one right down to about 8" above the headlight and this was the least annoying out of the lot.

I ended up just taking it off though - the headlight and fork shroud on the LC kinda directs the wind up anyway so it was never really tiring on longer rides without a screen.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have been using the Memphis Shades Slim for many years. I too had some buffeting even with it, but the wind was coming from under the shield. It was hitting my legs and being directed up to my face. I fabricated some wind deflectors for below the windshield. Made a huge difference.

The ones I made are something like this. Because I couldn't find any that were made for the 1400 that were long enough. Don't know what is available now.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/561-47 ... deflectors

BTW, the advice for the full face helmet is only good if you are NOT using a windscreen. Unless you have the fork wind deflectors a full face helmet only catches more air and makes the buffeting of your head even worse.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I have to disagree, I run a full face with a 17" tall Memphis Slim.
Top of the screen near the bridge of my nose, look over the screen, not through it.
If you adjust the windscreen properly by tilting forward or back....No buffeting.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:I have to disagree, I run a full face with a 17" tall Memphis Slim.
Top of the screen near the bridge of my nose, look over the screen, not through it.
If you adjust the windscreen properly by tilting forward or back....No buffeting.
The same shield I am running, but the air coming under it is the problem. It hits my legs and comes up to my face/head hitting on the bottom of the full face, the full face really increases the buffeting on my head. The half helmet is much less of a problem. With the wind guards on the forks, the majority of the problem is taken care of, no matter what helmet I wear.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Rode all winter lots of years.19 of them were 97 mile round trips to work. You can make lowers like I did for lots of bikes with a VS saw and right blade from plex glass. The stock 1500 suzuki had a nice set of lowers that worked real good. I owned one windjammer but the old 1970 JCW $49 huge shields with the build in hand cruves were just as good. Handle bar mount and usually made some more mount points to make them real stable.Had to cut some a lot to make fit on some work bikes.I like to look over all as cold fog or ice can make you blind it looking through them. Looking cool can be so cold but making some ugly wind blockers can make you a rider not a I am bad,leather chap no helmet fashion statement. :lmao: :XmasTree: :putput:

Scottr207
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 vs 1400

Post by Scottr207 »

Where is a good place to find
a Memphis shade for a 1995 intruder.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Scottr207 wrote:Where is a good place to find
a Memphis shade for a 1995 intruder.
Most anywhere..... to be sure www.denniskirk.com has about everything Memphis Shades makes. Other vendors as well.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Look up a part number on the Memphis Shades website and then search around for the best price. I recently bought a replacement plastic for my 17” Memphis Slim. I got the part number for the color I wanted and found the best price on Ebay for a new one with free shipping.
Arthritis sucks!