dead rear cylinder... now what?

joeConnectALL
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 Intruder 1400

Re: dead rear cylinder... now what?

Post by joeConnectALL »

Just an update;

been busy with family / holiday stuff. I got all my parts delivered, the correct float, pin, ignition coils, etc. - I'll be able to spend some time on getting everything installed. The gas tank had a huge dent on the top- actually crushed the top of the tank- I 'cut the dent out' - welded in a replacement and used Bondo to cover the weld seams and restore the correct contour of the tank. Came out nice, not perfect - but pretty close. Even matched the original color blue- (GM Duplicolor MetalicBlue). Just putting on the final layers of clear.

I'll report back once I got everything in place. I'm hoping in a few months once the snow is no more- my 87 Intruder will ride again.

Be well all- Happy new Year.

joeConnectALL
Tricycles are Cool

Post by joeConnectALL »

OK - Holidays are over, Superbowl is over: Got everything back together. The bike sounds 'better'... but it's not 'itself'. Started OK but still seems to lack power. I actually took it out- got it up to 70MPH but had to work for it. Noticed white smoke out of rear exhaust- comes and goes. New plugs, new K&Ns, new gas, new carb innards, etc.

Prior to starting it for the first time- I did a compression check- 130 out of the front, 110 out of the rear. Not where I want it but within range. After I got back from my test ride (yes, my balls disappeared- NH isn't the best place to ride a motorcycle in February)- anyway- after the test ride I decided to check compression again- this time on a hot engine- different picture all together. 60 PSI out of the rear, 125 out of the front. The 60 PSI isn't going to cut it. No visible oil leaks where the head gasket joint is - no leaks underneath. The only clues are the white smoke and lack of power.

My question is- what am I into? I don't mind pulling the heads- I just want to know what I'm going after?; rings, valves, cylinder rebore possibly ??? The bike is a 1987 - I'm the original owner; bought it for $5800 brand new. I've put almost 90,000 miles on it. It's been sitting for 3 years after a high-side crash. After the crash, while accessing the damage- I checked the engine; started fine... 3 years ago.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks to all.

joeConnectALL
Tricycles are Cool

Post by joeConnectALL »

Happy Ending...

turned out the compression check was bogus... faulty gauge. Borrowed another gauge- all checked out well- pretty even plus I did the test with the throttle opened up like I should have in the first place.

As far as the root of my problem- I did indeed have damaged floats, bad fuel & a partially clogged fuel pump. Took the fuel pump off- ran compressed air through it and i noticed 'chips'- probably dried tarnish from the bad gas.

Got every thing back together- started the bike and after four years- my 1987 Intruder made beautiful noise through the CM2s.

Thank you to ALL- you guys were great.

Ride safe.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

So glad to hear it! Now, ride the hell out of her and enjoy!
Arthritis sucks!