Bill idle for about 5 seconds then wants to die

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Bill idle for about 5 seconds then wants to die

Post by navigator »

Sundevil36 wrote:Checked the plugs, they look a little bit fouled probably from burning up what was in the cylinder. But not much. Both plugs are firing. I don't see the a/f screw cover that you have to drill/tap out, I'm sure I'm just not looking in the exact spot.
For the location, look at this thread:
http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopi ... ion#p97926

Your plugs may have already been removed, if so, you should see the screw head.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400

Post by Sundevil36 »

Gah, went out to try it again and I'm back to no start ckndition

Edit: never mind I got it idling again. A/F screw adjustments seemed to make Zero difference at all. Fuel pump initially was continuously buzzing, then slowed down to the periodic tick, now its back to continuous buzzing.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Sundevil36 wrote:Gah, went out to try it again and I'm back to no start ckndition

Edit: never mind I got it idling again. A/F screw adjustments seemed to make Zero difference at all. Fuel pump initially was continuously buzzing, then slowed down to the periodic tick, now its back to continuous buzzing.
If adjustment screws make no difference you have dirt in the carbs.

Did you clean the pet cock filter and check fuel pipes for kinks and blockages .

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

I did clean the petcock and replaced all fuel and vacuum lines. I ordered a carb rebuild kit from Amazon, going to clean and check for jet and float issues when they get here. Anything else I could try in the mean time?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Sundevil36 wrote:I did clean the petcock and replaced all fuel and vacuum lines. I ordered a carb rebuild kit from Amazon, going to clean and check for jet and float issues when they get here. Anything else I could try in the mean time?
There is a tiny filter behind the needle seat inside the carb. Some people have reported this to be blocked.

However if your pump is fast ticking you still have fuel starvation. Is there enough fuel in the tank or just enough . Take the tank off and rig a separate fuel supply.

The pump should prime and then stop ticking. For example at Idle it should tick about once every 2 seconds. If you cant hear it put your hand on it and feel it ticking.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

I have been running fuel from a gas can through a small mesh filter. Sometimes it's continuous buzz and sometimes it's not. Vacuum leak? Or not enough power going to the fuel pump?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Sundevil36 wrote:I have been running fuel from a gas can through a small mesh filter. Sometimes it's continuous buzz and sometimes it's not. Vacuum leak? Or not enough power going to the fuel pump?
This is a new pump? it will cavitate and buzz if there is air in the pump. normally it clears itself mine will do this on very hot days 35 37 degrees stuck in traffic and the fuel boils but the engine will still run ok.

Have you took off the pipe to the front carb and run the pump. This gets messy with fuel around . keep a fire extinguisher handy but sometimes you just gotta know if fuel is there or not.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Yeah this is the brand new one. I'm going to step down the size of fuel line I put in there. Maybe that will help.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Compression test is at 150 psi in each cylinder, so it's not that. Sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the top carb and it throttled right up. Got it idling and drained the carb a couple times, might have been some water in the float bowl. Going to sync the carbs this afternoon and see what's going on there.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Anyone have a video link to a clear carb disassembly video?

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

So I got the new float valve in and cleaned it out really well. When I got it all back together it started right up, throttled way up...and died all by itself. What's next?

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Did it throttle up by itself or did you you throttle it? Are you sure the slide isn’t stuck or diaphram pinched? Are you sure you set the float level to the correct spec? Are you sure both petcocks are open? Just trying to double check basics.
Arthritis sucks!

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

It throttled itself up, I only touched the starter button. I'm not 100% sure I set the float level correctly, how do I check? I actually couldn't open the plates that covered the diaphragms. And I'm running fuel from an external tank to avoid putting the tank on multiple times.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Here is a YouTube video of it idling, this is after I cleaned the carb jets with cleaner and compressed air. I made some A/F adjustments and it will now rev up nicely but pops sometimes.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Put the tank on and take it out . I don't think its driveable.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Fred wrote:Put the tank on and take it out . I don't think its driveable.
I actually did get it rolling through first gear around my property up to about 15 mph. It didn't like the throttle open much farther than that, and made that sucking sound from the front cylinder. When I rolled off the throttle it seems to idle fairly normally. Front header warmed up a lot quicker than my previous post. Didn't pull the spark plug wire to see if it would run on one (front) cylinder though.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

I watched the video...its running on one cylinder.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

Which I can't figure out...gets air, fuel, and spark and has compression within spec. What gives? :confused:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Sundevil36 wrote:Which I can't figure out...gets air, fuel, and spark and has compression within spec. What gives? :confused:
Did you sync the carbs after you cleaned and reassembled everything?
Both the idle sync, and throttle sync?
Carbs badly out of sync will run on one cylinder.

Sundevil36
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Sundevil36 »

I suppose not well enough!