Rear caliper

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: s83

Rear caliper

Post by Luis_o_98 »

So I went to change my rear pads today. One side complete worn the other about half. So my question is how to free a stuck caliper. I got the tire side back in but the other side will only come out not go back in. Also do I have to pull the tire to get the whole caliper off

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Re: Rear caliper

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

I've got an '05 and didn't need to remove the tyre. The 'quick' fix is penetrating oil on the stuck piston and try to force it in - I usually put a socket inside the piston and use some adjustable grips to squeeze it back. The 'proper' fix is to separate the calliper from hose line, strip it down, see why it jammed, replace and rebuild - piston may be pitted and corroded, seals may have deteriorated to let moisture in, might need a new piston, seal kit, hone...
Ya hya chouhada!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

I had one stuck like that on a 1400 I was fixing up for someone. It was the inboard side piston. I removed the caliper while leaving the brake line attached and used a C-clamp and a block of wood. I carefully worked around it until I got it going in straight and then I pressed it in.
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Because I ride in all kinds of weather I have had this issue a number of times with both of my 1400s.

I pull the caliper, use PB Blaster soaking the pucks down good. Using 2 small c-clamps and the old brake pad I push one puck in while holding the other one, then push the other puck all the way in. Then I use the brake pedal to push one out, spray it down with the PBB, force it back in I do this until the puck goes in and out easily, then push it all the way in and work the other one the same way. Take care to never push the pucks out more than about 1/4 of an inch before pushing them back in.

One time I found that the anchor bolt was frozen in the bracket and had to use the PBB and force it out.

When reinstalling the caliper I use marine grease on the anchor bolt and all sliding surfaces of the brake system. I also now spray a little PBB on the pucks (front and rear, being very careful not to get it on the rotor or the pads, if it gets on the rotor I use alcohol to wipe down the rotor) every time I change the oil, seems to have helped keep them free.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

The proper way to fix this is to remove the pistons and seals from the caliper and scrape out any corrosion from inside the seal channels. Corrosion starts under the seals and this pushes them out against the piston which makes them stick. You can usually get away with re-using the seals but if they are cheap enough / readily available its best to just replace.

And you should be careful forcing the pistons back in the caliper without doing this first - there is usually grime / residue on the outer part of the piston and if you don't remove this properly it can lacerate the seals when you force the piston back in.

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Luis_o_98 »

so what is the best way to get the caliper off the bike? it looks like 2 allen bolts hold it on but the swing arm is in the way :bang:

Luis_o_98
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Luis_o_98 »

after reading the manual (which i should have done in the first place :bonk:) i just have to loosen the axle, pull the shock and boom i now have access