throw-over saddlebag install

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400

throw-over saddlebag install

Post by Dominiquer »

I went to install my new set of River Road throw-over saddlebags, but couldn't get my passenger seat back on (wouldn't sit low enough to use original rear seat bolt). I placed the throw-over straps on top of the electrical bundle under the passenger seat. Any issues with strap on top of electrical bundle? Any experience moving the electrical bundle? Pics would be useful. Thanks.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: throw-over saddlebag install

Post by Lechy »

Bad idea to put anything over the top of the wires, squashing, chaffing could cause shorts and possibly a fire.
I personally would cut the wires and use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-2-8mm-EL ... 1688272058

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

You can always cut a square out of the yoke to straddle the offending bike parts.

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

Lechy wrote:Bad idea to put anything over the top of the wires, squashing, chaffing could cause shorts and possibly a fire.
I personally would cut the wires and use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-2-8mm-EL ... 1688272058

[emoji41]
Thanks. There are already connectors on the wiring harnesses, so I also tried mounting the bags under the electrical stuff. better, but I still can't get the short 8mm bolt in. May have to remove the rubber "feet" on the underside of the seat.

On another note, I think my bag supports may be too small? How should they fit? Do they need to be nearly the size of the bags, or is having half the bag hanging below the brace OK? Not touching anything.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Just use a longer bolt. All the supports really do is to keep the back of the bags from being rubbed against the shocks.

[emoji41]

Dominiquer
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Dominiquer »

Lechy wrote:Just use a longer bolt. All the supports really do is to keep the back of the bags from being rubbed against the shocks.

[emoji41]

The '96 1400 has springs over the shocks. Do I need to keep the bags from rubbing on those springs? My installed bags rest on the springs and the braces, as the braces are only behind the shocks. Did I order bags that are too big? Thanks. (as should be obvious by now, never had saddlebags before).

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Over time the movement against the springs will wear a hole in the back of the bags. Think outside of the box and do a little modification to the supports.

[emoji41]