fuel pump

mikeman3
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 03 1400 intruder

fuel pump

Post by mikeman3 »

:bow: All hail to the intruder guru's . I've learned my lesson . i bought a cheap fuel pump on ebay and it has grenaded after about 400 miles . is there a good factory replacement out there or do i have to go to suzuki and smile through the pain ? :bang:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: fuel pump

Post by Lechy »

I have over 20K km on a locally purchased pump made in Taiwan, cost me $ 35. You could check out the auto breakers yard for an old SU pump usually on 4.2 XJ6 Jags. Best pumps ever.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

thefuzz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 intruder vs1400

Post by thefuzz »

My Holley Mighty Might fuel pump has lasted about 5k miles so far. It was around 55 bucks.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

thefuzz wrote:My Holley Mighty Might fuel pump has lasted about 5k miles so far. It was around 55 bucks.

On Ebay, $45 to buy, $ 65 to ship. Yeah, right.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Lechy wrote:I have over 20K km on a locally purchased pump made in Taiwan, cost me $ 35. You could check out the auto breakers yard for an old SU pump usually on 4.2 XJ6 Jags. Best pumps ever.

[emoji41]
Far too big The jag Su will not go on a 1400 and they use banjo fittings. infact they all used banjos even the mini.

The aftermarket can be made to work, it just needs careful adjustment by cleaning points and bending tangs.

You know the water pump switch you buy in Thailand well that adjustable bit inside will fit on top of the pump armature. You then take off the valve body and with long nose pliers get hold of the spring under the diaphragm and yank it out. It comes out as a long piece of wire.

You then have no return spring BUT-- you find a small spring in your junk box that goes on the top of the armature under the adjustable water switch fitting that I just explained.

You then have an adjustable pressure pump,--no not dreaming, did it years ago still runs, it likes a low pressure.

Most bikes run on very low pressure The carbs were meant to run on gravity so ramming in 6 psi down a 1 foot pipe is too much.

The rear carb that is down below the tank will run quite happily without a pump supply I have pondered over the idea to just using the pump for the front carb alone.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

This should do the job, Summit doesn't sell junk...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl- ... plications

30 GPH at 3.5 psi.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

thefuzz
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 intruder vs1400

Post by thefuzz »

Lechy wrote:
thefuzz wrote:My Holley Mighty Might fuel pump has lasted about 5k miles so far. It was around 55 bucks.

[emoji41]
Mine came from Summit. Advance Auto has them for less

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

thefuzz wrote:
Lechy wrote:

[emoji41]
Mine came from Summit. Advance Auto has them for less
Me too--- 750 baht = 33 baht to the dollar= Thats 22 dollars --- lechy the philanthropist.