speedometer oscillation

Pegdragger
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S83 Boulevard

speedometer oscillation

Post by Pegdragger »

Hey guys wondering if any of you all have a idea on how to fix my waving needle. Over past past 10,000 miles my needle started to oscillate. +-10mph. Sometimes it rides rock steady other times it starts to wave up and down. Since i owned my bike i have replaced the speedo cable twice. The current cable i have I've cleaned and oiled with silicon or I've tried light amount of grease. Last time i tried Rem oil lol. The oscillation just continues to get worse. What do i do. My gauge has 43000 miles on it. I want to keep it as i want to see how many miles i can put on my bike.
:putput: Instagram - pegdragger . Uncorked vs1400 stage 3. Progressive fork springs. 12" rear shocks. Custom made handle bars, blinker housings, seat, drag pipes. Designer springs. Ride 1k in a day . blue ridge, tail of the dragon from Vermont 2x. Yellow stone, estes park, million dollar hwy, moab, window rock, grand canyon, death valley, serria Nevada's, US rt66, US rt 50 rider.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: speedometer oscillation

Post by Herb »

Pegdragger wrote:Hey guys wondering if any of you all have a idea on how to fix my waving needle. Over past past 10,000 miles my needle started to oscillate. +-10mph. Sometimes it rides rock steady other times it starts to wave up and down. Since i owned my bike i have replaced the speedo cable twice. The current cable i have I've cleaned and oiled with silicon or I've tried light amount of grease. Last time i tried Rem oil lol. The oscillation just continues to get worse. What do i do. My gauge has 43000 miles on it. I want to keep it as i want to see how many miles i can put on my bike.
There is an angle drive on the back of the speedo that might be part of the problem. Maybe the bushing above the angle drive is dry.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Pegdragger
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Pegdragger »

Whats the best way to take the speedo apart? or is there a oil port somewhere?
:putput: Instagram - pegdragger . Uncorked vs1400 stage 3. Progressive fork springs. 12" rear shocks. Custom made handle bars, blinker housings, seat, drag pipes. Designer springs. Ride 1k in a day . blue ridge, tail of the dragon from Vermont 2x. Yellow stone, estes park, million dollar hwy, moab, window rock, grand canyon, death valley, serria Nevada's, US rt66, US rt 50 rider.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Pegdragger wrote:Whats the best way to take the speedo apart? or is there a oil port somewhere?
On the bottom of the speedo housing there are 2 screws. Disconnect the cable from the speedo, pull the 2 screws, lift the speedo out of the housing, while feeding slack on the wires for the lighting, pull the lights out of the speedo.

1 thing to caution you about, when removing the screws there are special washers and rubber mounts, be careful with them. They will fall out at the most inopportune time.

BTW, I didn't think to ask, is your speedo floppy in the housing? If it is, the rubber bushings and the rubber around the top of the speedo are worn out and the vibration can cause the issue you are having.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Mine started to wobble just before the speedo drive unit went out. The wobble came from the drive init skipping. Just pull it off and see if yhe teeth are worn or chipping. New they run about $80 but you can find used ones. There is also a thread on here somewhere showing how to rebuild one.

Pegdragger
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Pegdragger »

Herb wrote:
There is an angle drive on the back of the speedo that might be part of the problem. Maybe the bushing above the angle drive is dry.
Thanks herb. I packed that worm gear full of a heavier molly grease. Speedometer rides rock steady. Worm gears showed some wear but no chipping. So hopefully I'm good to go.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

There is a drive plate which is located in the wheel bearing side of the speedo drive, this is like a big washer with 4 tangs, sometimes the tangs wear out causing the drive so slip.
Have a look here, the drive plate is the yellow part, it is held in place by a washer and circlip: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-98-VS800 ... tg&vxp=mtr
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.