metal part under stator cover

buster711
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 01 GLP1400 + 98 Virago xv1100

metal part under stator cover

Post by buster711 »

Hi folks....Searching an answer about a big piece of metal tab attached magnetically to the engine under the stator cover..I believe it goes there because remember last replace on stator I did BUT forget what end goes where? ...ALSO wondering why there is a hole in one end as if to attach to something yet if memory correct it just holds magnetically to the engine rotor as if to perhaps break the circuit each rotation for "reading" purposes? ?.
Thanks in advance for any help...

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Re: metal part under stator cover

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

Post a pic but i think you ate talking about the trigger for the ignition pick ups. It should be attached to the rotor, not just magnetically
Ya hya chouhada!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Nothing is held magnetically. I think it is the metal wire guide that holds the wires out of the way of rotating parts.

Warning Any thing inside there not screwed and secured will result in catastrophic engine failure.

Before re fitting make 100% sure the magnets have not pick up ANYTHING ---big bucks boom bang.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:Nothing is held magnetically. I think it is the metal wire guide that holds the wires out of the way of rotating parts.

Warning Any thing inside there not screwed and secured will result in catastrophic engine failure.

Before re fitting make 100% sure the magnets have not pick up ANYTHING ---big bucks boom bang.
Correct.

I think what you are talking about is item 7 and it is bolted in. If you took it apart and it wasn't, there is a bolt missing.

http://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oempar ... 8e/magneto

BTW, for those with parts they are not sure of where they go, the OEM parts lists can be a huge help. Sometimes used bikes have had poor work done on them and things are not properly installed.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

buster711
Studying MC Handbook

Post by buster711 »

YESIREE that is what it looks like...Will know for sure when am back at putting things together...Thanks so much for the picture it REALLY helped nail this problem...Thanks for the other posts as well folks ...Will be back with a hopefully good update..

buster711
Studying MC Handbook

Post by buster711 »

Just confirmed that is the part and blew the the pic up more to see where it goes... Thing is I believe I am VERY fortunate that I looked on here ...AND lucky the part did not tear things to hell and back after stator replacement in June because it was not bolted in and I DID put that bolt back in the correct place - minus this part that I found hanging magnetically to that rotor when I removed the cover....well it's about time I had some good luck....
Stator cover suffered a crack that turned into a hole while removing to replace,,,This came from a wreck I had that I will post separately as "WHY I WEAR A HELMET" ...Will also try to post a pic of the repair job a retired welder did on the cover that looks as though it will work....$45 verses $185 to $320 for a new one..
Thanks again for the help...