Problems with Designer Spring Install

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Problems with Designer Spring Install

Post by JamesC »

Okay, so my buddy Bronx Intruder was kind enough to send me a spare set of Designer's Clutch Springs. The install was pretty easy, and when I took her for a ride she shifts real nice. The only problem is that she is now leaking oil from the cover. I bought a new gasket, and it fit perfectly. My friend who is a motorcycle mechanic for Indian here in New Jersey was helping me. I think he said he torqued the cover bolts to 10. Did we go too tight? When I start the engine, I can see oil coming up from the seal between the cover and the engine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Problems with Designer Spring Install

Post by Lechy »

I found that the fabricated gaskets were too thin for my old girls causing leaks so I now make my own out of 0.7 mm oil proof gasket material. Also the washers should be sealing type bonded washers.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

The new one seemed thicker than the old one that peeled right off the cover. It came off in pieces, or it may have been re-usable. Should we use some kind of gasket seal? And how tight should the cover bolts be torqued down?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

If the old gasket came off in pieces chances are that you didn't get all of the old gasket off. I haven't used any kind of sealant but if I were to the only type I would use would be Permatex Form-a-gasket and then very sparingly. Never use any kind of silicon sealant for oil sealing applications.
I don't use a torque wrench for cover bolts, just spin them up then a little nip up.
[emoji41]

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Use this (with the paper gasket):

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Okay, so I drained the oil and got the cover back off. The two top holes at the top right of the gasket had folded in before we buttoned it up. So we put it back in place and put the cover back on and the oil back in. I started it up, and right away I could see oil spurting out from the very front bolt. Drained oil again, took cover off and found that little part of the gasket had folded in. This time we used Hylomar to hold the gasket in place, and I am happy to say she is buttoned up nice and tight and now I can enjoy the Designer Springs I installed. I have to say, those OEM gaskets suck. If I ever have to use a gasket again I think I will cut my own.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

Oh, and I think we torqued the cover bolts to 9 foot pounds.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

When using any kind of liquid gasket consider this. When you tighten the cover, what squishes out also squishes in. You can wipe the excess off the outside but not the inside. The excess on the inside can break off and circulate with the oil blocking small galleries.

Up to you.
[emoji41]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

I have told young guys that all so Lechy. [emoji106] On the gasket making.In the old days made all the simple side gaskets and if out of gasket paper a cardboard box,like a Ritz box did good and never failed. I would wipe a little wheel bearing grease on each side and wipe off before putting on. Allso you take the cover and smear the grease or oil on and press on the stuff you are making it from.This gives you a good lines and holes pattern.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

old time rider wrote:I have told young guys that all so Lechy. [emoji106] On the gasket making.In the old days made all the simple side gaskets and if out of gasket paper a cardboard box,like a Ritz box did good and never failed. I would wipe a little wheel bearing grease on each side and wipe off before putting on. Allso you take the cover and smear the grease or oil on and press on the stuff you are making it from.This gives you a good lines and holes pattern.
Working on my vehicles late at night and needing them for the following morning I found myself making many a gasket out of Cheerios boxes.
Arthritis sucks!

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test

Post by JamesC »

The guy I was working with has been a professional motorcycle mechanic for over 30 years. I saw how small an amount he used on that gasket. None squished "up", so I would think none squished down. I have absolute faith in him. He is now head motorcycle mechanic for Indian Motorcycles here in North Jersey. I have watched him perform magic with tools, and he has gotten me out of a few jams that I thought were hopeless.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Lechy wrote:When using any kind of liquid gasket consider this. When you tighten the cover, what squishes out also squishes in. You can wipe the excess off the outside but not the inside. The excess on the inside can break off and circulate with the oil blocking small galleries.

Up to you.
[emoji41]
Yeah, well you've got to use the stuff sparingly or else you can have issues. Good rule of thumb is if you are wiping off beads of it on the outside, there's beads of it inside....

The 3Bond stuff is probably the best as far as removing the cover again and not FUBARing the gasket. Generic silicons are not meant for MC gaskets.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

JamesC wrote:The guy I was working with has been a professional motorcycle mechanic for over 30 years. I saw how small an amount he used on that gasket. None squished "up", so I would think none squished down. I have absolute faith in him. He is now head motorcycle mechanic for Indian Motorcycles here in North Jersey. I have watched him perform magic with tools, and he has gotten me out of a few jams that I thought were hopeless.
The stuff on the inside, if any, is fine. It will firm up and stay in place...even more so if it's minor.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Clean both surfaces,-- like surgically clean. then wipe with thinner, apply thin coat on both, bang on with closed fist , leave till morning, tighten up.

On old Harleys with pressed steel cases I would lay 1/4 inch and leave it an hour or two.

The pic of the stuff above is what I use in Thailand.