Trying Different Exhaust

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Trying Different Exhaust

Post by Forge »

I currently am running an '05 S83 with K&N drop ins, a Dynojet stage one kit with the needles set to the third slot and slides drilled, and a Cobra drag pipe system with Big City Thunder QQ Baffles installed as well as 4" of the original Cobra baffles. I also have installed Designer's Springs. She runs great and is nice and torquey, but I still want her a little quieter.
I am obtaining a stock exhaust system (bike didn't come with it) and plan on drilling the baffles to be somewhat loud but not obnoxious. My question is this. Who has done this with both the K&N drop ins and the Dynojet kit? What did you do for your needle settings? I'm thinking the second from the top clip slot? I'm not thinking of doing the complete Dr Bob, just the first 2 baffles. I know I will lose some power by going back to the stock setup, but I just want her to sound respectable and throaty, but not oem quiet or drag pipe rude.
Arthritis sucks!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Re: Trying Different Exhaust

Post by Forge »

Can anyone tell me about their good or bad experiences with drilling their stock mufflers? Droning? Sounds great? Tinny?
Arthritis sucks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Have a look at some of these.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ruder+1400

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by RapidRoy »

Forge wrote:Can anyone tell me about their good or bad experiences with drilling their stock mufflers? Droning? Sounds great? Tinny?
I drilled the stock mufflers in my vs800 (3 equally spaced 1/4'' holes in each) and it made it sound better, more raspy. Not sure what it would be like on a 1400 but probably pretty good.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:Can anyone tell me about their good or bad experiences with drilling their stock mufflers? Droning? Sounds great? Tinny?
Hi Forge
Before i did the full uncork on my 1400 my stocks had 4 x 10mm holes in the back plate. It sounded ok but i still felt it wasn't gonna breath properly through a 3/4'" hole. Went ahead and drilled the holding rivets in the plate and got it out. I could then see that the baffle had had the centre drilled out. The baffle is just atube about 6" long with small holes in the circumference and i think the end of the tube was originally blanked off (no wonder the poor things sound asthmatic?) If you stick a rod in the end and it stops approx 6" in i think yours will be stock. If you want to keep the stock look you could drill the centre out and maybe the 4 holes in the plate. See what it sounds like and if you want more there is another baffle plate about 4" from the end of the baffle tube.
Heres a diagram of the internals courtesy of someone on the purple board.Image
Hope that helps.
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Rick
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

Post by Rick »

m2h wrote:...snip...
Heres a diagram of the internals courtesy of someone on the purple board.Image
Hope that helps.
:cheers:
Thanks for finding that drawing. I was wondering about that.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

You will not get into too much trouble just bashing out your baffles but if you try to alter length or diameter you will fall into a world of shit.

However if you don't believe me and you do--then keep the old set so you can return.

As in most cases of tinkering there is a point of no return, this point needs to be understood.

The exhaust system although incredibly important part of the engines breathing ,tuning and performance seems to attract tinkering with the belief that it is not that important and that all it does is guide waste gases to the rear of the bike keeping it out of the riders face.