Going to all LED for turn signals.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Going to all LED for turn signals.

Post by WintrSol »

The US models only have one indicator, and, before '04, it connected both sides together, using the off signal bulbs to provide a virtual ground for the much smaller indicator. With the '04 model, they added 4-way flasher switches, which required the diode change, since they didn't want to add another bulb. I'm guessing yours is wired somewhat differently; if you could draw up your wiring, I'd like to see it. The current needed to light that indicator is enough to light just two LED signal bulbs, so I expect something else in your wiring that is not stock for a US model. I put LED signal bulbs in my old CB450, and also replaced the indicator with LED because of the lower current requirements; the indicator didn't light properly, even though the signals did, so I put one filament bulb on each side to make the indicator light functional, as there was no other non-invasive way on that bike to increase the loads.

Also, all US models have DRL bulbs in the front signals, which are dual filament (equivalent to 1157), with the dimmer one as the running light, brighter as the signal, much like the tail/stop light.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

WintrSol wrote:The US models only have one indicator, and, before '04, it connected both sides together, using the off signal bulbs to provide a virtual ground for the much smaller indicator. With the '04 model, they added 4-way flasher switches, which required the diode change, since they didn't want to add another bulb. I'm guessing yours is wired somewhat differently; if you could draw up your wiring, I'd like to see it. The current needed to light that indicator is enough to light just two LED signal bulbs, so I expect something else in your wiring that is not stock for a US model. I put LED signal bulbs in my old CB450, and also replaced the indicator with LED because of the lower current requirements; the indicator didn't light properly, even though the signals did, so I put one filament bulb on each side to make the indicator light functional, as there was no other non-invasive way on that bike to increase the loads.

Also, all US models have DRL bulbs in the front signals, which are dual filament (equivalent to 1157), with the dimmer one as the running light, brighter as the signal, much like the tail/stop light.
Canadian models also have DRL.......Law for years.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

ecbaatz
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

Post by ecbaatz »

I installed this kit on my 96 1400. Simple install, works great. Used an EP36 flasher to get the correct flash rate.

http://chromeglow.com/products/wiring-c ... diode-kit/
Eric
EM1(SS) Retired
Any day is a good day to ride!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I always hated the single indicator light for the T/S.

Befor my speedo went bad I had planned on putting separate indicator lights on each side of the speedo housing, I had even bought 2 small lights to use.

Then the speedo went to reading 90 leaving the driveway so I replaced the speedo and indicator lights with a speedo housing from an older Suzuki GS 250, that I had left over from another project.

When I installed it I rewired the T/S's to the separate indicators. Like it much better.

Now all I need is to get an electronic tach that will fit correctly in the housing I have.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by RapidRoy »

Can you get mini turn signals for these bikes that simply plug it without changing anything?

Jonbkahn
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1993 Intruder 1400

Post by Jonbkahn »

On my '93, I just swapped in LED units on all four corners because I had to replace my rear turn signal housings (swapped out the flasher relay as well). When I op checked them, they acted like 4-way flashers no matter which side I pushed my turn signal switch. Studying the wiring Diagram, it looks like the weird routing through the single T/S indicator bulb is the culprit.

Can I wire the T/S indicator in series between flasher relay and the switch? Where are the wires to and from the indicator bulb routed?

Thanks.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

Jonbkahn wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:46 pm
On my '93, I just swapped in LED units on all four corners because I had to replace my rear turn signal housings (swapped out the flasher relay as well). When I op checked them, they acted like 4-way flashers no matter which side I pushed my turn signal switch. Studying the wiring Diagram, it looks like the weird routing through the single T/S indicator bulb is the culprit.

Can I wire the T/S indicator in series between flasher relay and the switch? Where are the wires to and from the indicator bulb routed?

Thanks.
No, you can't put the indicator in series, as it would limit the current through the selected lights, and, if the current lights the LEDs, the indicator wouldn't light. The proper way is either relatively high power load resistors on each side, to simulate the filaments, or to isolate the indicator with a diode from each side, and a ground. They make kits for this, with the wires and diodes ready to add to your harness.
Florissant, MO

Jonbkahn
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Jonbkahn »

I ordered a red and a green 3mm LED that I was planning on wiring in place of the single incandescent T/S bulb, with a common ground. The LED would then be wired in parallel with the appropriate L or R signal.

The problem with this is that I have to make those two little LEDs fit in the space.

I like your idea about the diodes, where the existing bulb is essentially in parallel with each side.

What size (or other unit of measure) would I need for the job?

Thanks

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club

Post by WintrSol »

The current is so low that most common diodes will work, as long as the PIV is rated greater than 20V and forward current is greater than 250mA. If you only order two, shipping will be many times the price, so look for a nearly extinct electronics store first.
Florissant, MO

Jonbkahn
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Jonbkahn »

Thanks for the advice. I've got a $5 pack of 20v 1A diodes on standby in case the LEDs I ordered don't cut it.

El_Carlo
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 98 Intruder1400VS

Post by El_Carlo »

Hi all, I put LEDs all around. Headlight, blinkers, tail light too. I added this relay to my bike and it corrected the flash rate. I have the Rivco mirrors that have lights to the front and rear. With the stock set up, I had hyper flash and all of the blinkers were out of sync. After much research, I found Custom LED. I bought this part:

https://www.customled.com/products/elfr ... sher-relay

It simultaneously fixed all the blinker issues, so I have a normal flash rate and all synced up. For 20 bucks, It was a simple and effective solution.

The connector isn’t exactly the same as the one on my ‘98 Intruder1400 but it still connects as if it were OEM. It even fits in the OEM location! It was a huge time saver since I didn’t have to solder diodes or anything to each turn signal.

I later incorporated a Kuryakyn universal RTB module. The kit comes with one diode/load-resistor. But after a little experimentation, I discovered the included resistor is not necessary with the Custom LEDs relay installed.

Hope this helps ✌🏼