Battery Dying and Rough Idle

theK_Brick
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Battery Dying and Rough Idle

Post by theK_Brick »

Okay since you guys are the most knowledgeable on the subject I have one for you! Sorry for the length I am still a newbie

I have been riding around my bike for about a month (97 VS1400) every other day or so getting familiar with it. I have put about 100 miles on it. Last week I went out and jumped on my bike after it sitting for three days to find the battery dead. So I jumped it and went to start it and every time I tried to start it the battery died again.

After about three times I finally got it started and running. However when it got running it ran super rough almost as if it was puttering along. (If I figure it out I will post videos of the sound that I took) As well as that I could visibly see the power was surging as if the bike doesn’t have enough current because the headlight and turn signals would get stronger and then dim repeatedly. I went to hit the throttle because I thought something may be gumming up the carbs and it died. I turned it off and the battery was dead again.

So now I am super confused. I understand the carbs probably need tuned in a little better but that doesn’t solve my power issue.

Yesterday I completely gutted the bike. I have the rear air box out the fuse block off, all the wiring unhooked. I also stripped all the turn signals to help eliminate things that draw power. I have used a test light when the battery is charged I have power all the way to the solenoid but once I hit start the battery is dead again.

Any ideas and all help is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to get my bike back on the road for what is left of the season.

Here are the videos

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Re: Battery Dying and Rough Idle

Post by Spacecoast »

Sounds like you may have done a lot of work for a simple dead/bad battery. Don't be fooled by re-charging a battery and getting it to read 12V. Even a really bad battery can push 12 unloaded volts. And perhaps the charging system is not functioning properly, thus killing the battery. Making a starter motor function and turn over an engine takes a lot of electrical juice, and a bad battery can't handle it.

In reference to the bike running poorly, this can happen if the bike is getting a poor/weak spark. Sounds like it was running on one cylinder...and that could be the fact that the battery is bad and not providing enough juice during low engine rpm. When you gave the bike more throttle, you increased cylinder pressure...which makes it more difficult for the plugs to fire. A weak spark will become no spark under increased cylinder pressure, and the engine dies.

The solenoid does not take a lot of power to click close...that's the point of having a solenoid and thus not running thick heavy wires to the starter thumb switch. But once that solenoid closes, then the starter motor demands a lot of power...which your battery doesn't have to give.

You have a battery issue, or a charging issue...or both.

theK_Brick
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 97 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by theK_Brick »

Thank you guys for your responses. I did buy a brand new battery when I got the bike. However I do know that a brand new battery is not always a good battery. I will take it in tomorrow to get it tested. In the mean time is there something I can do to make sure I do not have a charging issue? I have taken the rectifier off of the bike right now so that I could get a good look at it. It seems fine as do all the wires. I just want to kow if there is anything else I could be doing while I have it all apart.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Remove the battery earth cable, make up a new one ready to fit to your system. sand clean the frame earthing point.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.