Fuel lines factory routing, or straight short replacement mod??

RoadHammer91VS
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki VS1400

Fuel lines factory routing, or straight short replacement mod??

Post by RoadHammer91VS »

Hey guys and gals just wanted to get some opinions on a portion of the reassembly I am getting ready to do on my 91. I've seen quite a bit of talk on A couple different options to resolve swapping out fuel lines under the tank. Most of them are all unified and saying that factory replacement lines are stupid expensive.
A couple different options to resolve swapping out fuel lines under the tank. Most of them are all unified and saying that factory replacement lines are stupid expensive. I have seen a lot of people talk about using shorter straight sections of fuel line and rotating the petcock 180° when reassembling and reinstalling the tank. This should prove to be an effective substitute so you don't have to wrangle the wicked bends that are needed if you take the route the factory designed for these. I just want to ask what everyone's opinion is or if you have done this, have you seen any issues with longevity? Doesn't seem to work and last pretty well? Thanks in advance

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Fuel lines factory routing, or straight short replacement mod??

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Remember to rotate the elbow that goes into tank when rotating petcock so you maintain the fuel level / depth inside.

RoadHammer91VS
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki VS1400

Post by RoadHammer91VS »

I will, should there only be one pick up elbow? Someone was telling me there should be two so I was kind of worried. Also the screens are broken but the petcock works fine. Was thinking I'd make sure all that broken material is out of there and use it with an inline filter after think that should work.?

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

2 tubes but only one is an elbow. Inline filter would be nice if you can fit them.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

In all my years of bike fixing / tinkering I've never bought factory fuel hoses. In the shop I worked in we just had a couple of rolls of different sized hose we used to take hose from.

For the Intruders which have fuel pumps, it doesn't really matter how long or where the fuel hoses go - the fuel gets pumped into the carbs regardless.

Which means you can run a decent cardboard element fuel filter (IE: car style) and not have to worry about gravity fed fuel starvation.