Stock Header Question

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Stock Header Question

Post by Forge »

What is the outside diameter on the 1400's stock header where the muffler attaches? I'm thinking of picking up a set of stock headers and using stainless pipe to make my own longer drag pipes. I want to use 2" pipe because I already have the 1&7/8" OD Big City QQ baffles in my Cobra pipes and want to use them in the long drags.
Arthritis sucks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Stock Header Question

Post by Lechy »

I can't help here, maybe Bronx can measure one of his and let you know. On the 800 it is 39 mm but I don't know about the 1400.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

My headers measure exactly 2" but that is just in front of the header-to-muffler shield. The pipe does slightly narrow as it goes to the muffler, but I can't get in there to take a measurement due to the shield. My guess is that its about 1/8" less (1 7/8")

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Gimme a minute and i'll check for ya. Just ate and now stuffed... Gotta let it settle. Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

About 1 3/4" right where the muffler slips onto header.
About 1 13/16" rithe where the ring is before pipe begins to go to 2".

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:About 1 3/4" right where the muffler slips onto header.
About 1 13/16" rithe where the ring is before pipe begins to go to 2".
Ok. So that sounds like I could make straight 2" chromed or stainless pipes work for long straight cut drag pipes on both sides. I have the BCT QQ baffles I want to insert and use in the pipes.
Arthritis sucks!

Thor
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 VS 1400

Post by Thor »

I used 2 inch chrome tailpipe extensions for drag pipes. They were 24in. Long, had to cut the one about 2 inches shorter than the other( the stock headers mount aren't even). And 1in. slits and a small notch. The slits help them slide on to the stock headers (50mm) I believe.. if you feel under the header before the stock muffler there's what feels like mini O2 bung that's plugged off.. that's why you need the notch.. I just cut two slits where the "bung" is then broke it off with pliars to make the notch. And two chrome 2in clamps and baffles and your good to go. I used Smartpartz Hard Kore quiet baffles. Then I drilled 6 1/8 holes around the edge of the baffles to "tune them" to the sound I wanted.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Thor wrote:I used 2 inch chrome tailpipe extensions for drag pipes. They were 24in. Long, had to cut the one about 2 inches shorter than the other( the stock headers mount aren't even). And 1in. slits and a small notch. The slits help them slide on to the stock headers (50mm) I believe.. if you feel under the header before the stock muffler there's what feels like mini O2 bung that's plugged off.. that's why you need the notch.. I just cut two slits where the "bung" is then broke it off with pliars to make the notch. And two chrome 2in clamps and baffles and your good to go. I used Smartpartz Hard Kore quiet baffles. Then I drilled 6 1/8 holes around the edge of the baffles to "tune them" to the sound I wanted.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking of doing, but I am having trouble finding longer lengths of chrome pipe. I want to make mine long like the Cruiser Magic Nasty Twins and extend them to maybe just behind the rear wheel. I like the long drag pipe look.
Arthritis sucks!

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Forge wrote:
Thor wrote:I used 2 inch chrome tailpipe extensions for drag pipes. They were 24in. Long, had to cut the one about 2 inches shorter than the other( the stock headers mount aren't even). And 1in. slits and a small notch. The slits help them slide on to the stock headers (50mm) I believe.. if you feel under the header before the stock muffler there's what feels like mini O2 bung that's plugged off.. that's why you need the notch.. I just cut two slits where the "bung" is then broke it off with pliars to make the notch. And two chrome 2in clamps and baffles and your good to go. I used Smartpartz Hard Kore quiet baffles. Then I drilled 6 1/8 holes around the edge of the baffles to "tune them" to the sound I wanted.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking of doing, but I am having trouble finding longer lengths of chrome pipe. I want to make mine long like the Cruiser Magic Nasty Twins and extend them to maybe just behind the rear wheel. I like the long drag pipe look.
Did you get another set of headers yet? Plan to wrap or no?

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:
Forge wrote:
Did you get another set of headers yet? Plan to wrap or no?
I actually got a great deal on a like new OEM exhaust system. I considered installing the OEM system and drilling the baffles for sound, but I really like the long straight drag pipe look like the nasty twins. I would rather not wrap. If I was going to wrap or maybe use high heat engine paint, then I would just use regular exhaust pipe.
Arthritis sucks!

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Okay. Gotcha.