steel clutch line

dwd58
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: 2005 s83

steel clutch line

Post by dwd58 »

Changing stock clutch line to stainless steel to eliminate the line expansion on the stock line after a couple hours riding in the heat. I found Galfer USA has a stainless steel line with banjo bolts for our bikes for less than $60 . Any suggestions on another brand or is this the best to go with ? Also any tips on changing line would be appreciated.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: steel clutch line

Post by Lechy »

I replaced the whole lot with a SS braided Teflon hose a few years ago, no problems to report. The banjo fittings for the 800's should be at 90 deg from each other when the hose is laid out flat. Had it made locally for about $50..

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

Lots of people have replaced to SS across the years and if its for the bike they all seem to have went well. If you have the one that attaches to the steel tube be sure to use good wrenches on the connection so you don't butcher it.

You may be feeling the expansion of the moisture the brake fluid is holding causing the softness. Until you have the complete failure while sitting in stopped traffic on a hot day you really haven't had real excitement LOL. I got into the habit long ago of bleeding new fluid into the system each spring because I really didn't like the excitement.

The SS line will certainly help but it is only part of the problem. I put Spiegler on mine since they are local to me and the banjos they use can be rotated on the line so the routing is right where you want it to be.

dwd58

Post by dwd58 »

Thanks guys ! Any more suggestions?

dwd58

Post by dwd58 »

Guys did you cut the old line before bringing it out or did you take it out whole? Was it hard to feed the new steel line in the tight places? Did you remove the lower air filter?

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by RapidRoy »

Old dry rubber

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

Pulling in and out of the clutch lever should not make the squeaky noise. It is the front brake that tends to make this noise.

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by RapidRoy »

subin wrote:Pulling in and out of the clutch lever should not make the squeaky noise. It is the front brake that tends to make this noise.
Well in my case its most definitely the clutch lever.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Just cut the fittings off and solder onto copper piping. Bring the route up and past the fuel cock and under the tank not down past the exhaust. Buy a car brake fitting union and bolt to the frame near the neck, buy a car flexi and run that from the union under the tank up to the master.

The fittings must be drilled to take the copper pipe. Cost under 10 dollars the whole job.

You will need a flare tool. Usually a double flare.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Fred is back with usual good wrench advice. [emoji106]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Copper on a brake line...
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Herb wrote:Copper on a brake line...
Fine for the clutch.......I wouldnt use it on brakes.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Blaine wrote:

Perfectly acceptable material for brakes and clutch on cars and bikes. Just made a few copper brake pipes in UK or should I say replace as the flare nut was seized in the rear drum slave cylinders so it hat to be cut off and new ones made, took all of 10 minutes.

Flexible annealed copper brake pipe is acceptable for UK's annual Ministry of Transport test MOT.

GOOGLE it,!!!

Funny how you seem to think copper is insufficient yet a rubber flieible or sheathed plastic is OK.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Blaine wrote:

Perfectly acceptable material for brakes and clutch on cars and bikes. Just made a few copper brake pipes in UK or should I say replace as the flare nut was seized in the rear drum slave cylinders so it hat to be cut off and new ones made, took all of 10 minutes.

Flexible annealed copper brake pipe is acceptable for UK's annual Ministry of Transport test MOT.

GOOGLE it,!!!

Funny how you seem to think copper is insufficient yet a rubber flieible or sheathed plastic is OK.
regular copper does not have the strength required. The rubber line and the braided stainless is much stronger.

There is a copper/nickle allow tubing that has been DOT approved in the US, but it isn't what you get in the hardware store.

While copper will work for the clutch, I would not trust it for any brake line.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Who said anything about a hardware store.

Copper brake pipe IS perfectly acceptable material for car brakes. RR Shadow the cars I used to work on the most have a max pressure sphere stored 1750 psi. So--we can say that a normal car wont be up there.

Did you know that copper pipe is better than steel, it does not corrode and is more flexible and has thicker walls.

If you dont know---it does not mean it does not exist or it cant be done. Copper has been used for many years since even I was an MOT tester back in the 70's