Choke hold not working.

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Choke hold not working.

Post by 1sttightwad »

Choke won't stay in full mode under the emblem as a result I have to hold it till it warms up.. and that's a long time. Is there a cable or detent the previous owner messed up while "customizing".

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Choke hold not working.

Post by sgtcall »

If your choke is the same as the 1998 VS1400 try pulling the center screw out and then adjust the choke knob a little to the right and after it is seated put the screw back in. Mine was having a hard time staying in place and this fixed it.

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

A long time ago I gave up on mine. Before I by passed my clutch switch, I just cocked the bars to the left stop, looped my arm over the clutch to pull it and twisted the choke. [emoji2]

OBTW I have drag bars on mine. Your mileage my vary.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Perhaps the center screw of the knob, or something behind it can apply more tension to the knob so that it will stay in position. Is the knob currently easy to turn, both on and off?

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Thank you all. I will try the screw removal and reset of the knob.. I am so tired of finding things that the idiot "customizer" did I could wring his neck.. Trouble is he won't answer any texts to see what he did.. You gentlemen that post answers are a God send.. As you may surmise from my questions I do not go in blindly taking things apart. Thank you so very much.. So far I have found the oem pump wired in reverse, the battery with the caps removed to "rejuvinate" it..the dimmer switch not working, ALL of the turn signals removed and replaced with LED wiring tapes,the headlight in pieces that he said was a piece of cake to re-assemble.. I will buy a new one and be done with it.. The choke problem is the first step to being able to fix the rich problem on the front cylinder and then I will do a sync.. That hopefully will end the lousy and dangerous slow throttle response.. Dave :bow:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

if you are looking for parts contact "Bronx Intruder' on this board and he may be able to cut you a better deal than most sites.

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

To spacecoast.. Hopefully it does have some detent or adjustment.. The diagrams do not show it though. As you and others being so kind as to help me you probably have surmised by now that I don't jump into any parts removal until I am confident I won't make my problems worse.. Kudo's to those that have the knowledge.. Dave

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

If its the same as the s83... try removing the tank. Then, toward the front of the bike right behind the front jug, locate the choke wire(track it from the choke knob back)... when you choke the bike, there is a little slide lever that moves laterally on the carb (it faces the rear of the bike and opens toward the right, you can see its mounted via the screws that hold the top cap on) IF there is a hose or wire in the way of the slide, it wont allow it to open, thus forcing you to "squeeze" what ever is obstructing it to allow the choke to function... also follow the line down toward the rear carb snd make sure the wire is inside the little housing and isnt being pinched by the fuel line.

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

It worked on Eric Garner...

For a quick field expedient fix, use a clothespin.

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped

Post by 1sttightwad »

Thanks for the advice on the choke wire and clothes pin.. Been having Frog Choking rains every afternoon so no time to get back to making it run right, and safely.. I am not going to take it out until everything is working as it should.. Dave