01 VS1400 starter relay

b37mech
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki Intruder VS1400

01 VS1400 starter relay

Post by b37mech »

Hi,

I have an 01 VS1400 with starter relay issues. It keeps sticking and will not disengage the starter even when I push the kill switch, turn off the key, put kick stand down, etc. The starter relay is sticking closed. I have fried 2 new relays so far. I bought the cheaper ones off of amazon. Also, can someone please give me a picture of how the started relay is installed? I know how the larger gauge wires are installed, but am unsure of how the smaller gauge (black/yellow & black/white stripe) wires are installed. The motorcycle will start with the smaller wires either way. Thank you in advance.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: 01 VS1400 starter relay

Post by Lechy »

It's a DC coil, energizes either way. I would be looking at cleaning up the starter switch they can sometimes get crudded up and sticky.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

b37mech
Tricycles are Cool

Post by b37mech »

Thank you! I was looking at the wiring diagram (again) and you are correct, it is doesn't matter the hook-up. I already verified that the starter switch is cleaned and not sticking. I am thinking cheap starter relay or bad ground on battery?

Also, do you or anyone else know if I can splice in a generic starter generator from a vehicle until I can get a new one?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Both my Intruders have generic solenoids but not from Amazon or Ebay.
[emoji41]

b37mech
Tricycles are Cool

Post by b37mech »

Where did you get them from? Part number please.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

I just took my old one to an autoparts store and they supplied me with one of a similar size, same with my fuel pumps.

[emoji41]

b37mech
Tricycles are Cool

Post by b37mech »

Thank you! I will do the same. I just got finished talking to another cycle rider and he said a friend of had the same issue as me and it turned out to be a bad ground to the frame from the battery. It was powder coated. I will check the same when I get home.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Is the issue here the solenoid, or a relay? A relay is usually a small device that transfers electrical power by tripping, but usually the same amperage and on the same circuit (like a fuel pump or a low amp light), whereas a solenoid trips over to a different circuit of usually higher amperage capacity needed for a electrical motor. The use of a solenoid avoids running heavy wires to/from start switches. I know the Intruder has a solenoid, but I'm not sure about having a relay and what the purpose would be. I know there are relays involved in the start process, but that's due to the decompression unit needing to click on and off.

If the key is turned off I don't see how a bad/sticky/start thumb switch would still power the solenoid, but if the solenoid was to stick closed, then the starter is going to run until electrical power is discontinued. Is the issue here a defective solenoid that is sticking closed? And if the action of the solenoid can operate the stater, then I don't see how the ground could be faulty.