Clutch slipping

Jvogt89
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 01 suzuki intruder vs1400

Clutch slipping

Post by Jvogt89 »

Hey guys, just wondering if I could get a little insight. My clutch is starting to slip on me, but only under hard acceleration. The only time I feel it is when I'm getting on it, I crank on the throttle and the rpm goes up but the bike lags catching up to it. You can hear the slip through the rpm range. Already plan on getting designer springs either way but is there anything else I should worry about or check?

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Clutch slipping

Post by hillsy »

What oil are you running? A lot of car oils will have friction modifiers that can allow wet clutches to slip.

Probably the first thing I would do is change the oil to a bike specific MA / JASO oil and see if that helps.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

hillsy wrote:What oil are you running? A lot of car oils will have friction modifiers that can allow wet clutches to slip.

Probably the first thing I would do is change the oil to a bike specific MA / JASO oil and see if that helps.
Won't help. It isn't the oil that is the problem, it's the stock springs that are junk.

My 99 had nothing but suzuki oil until the clutch started slipping at about 13,000 miles. I switched to car oil, replaced the springs with stock ones, and it started slipping again at just under 25,000. new stock springs and it started slipping again at 35,000. Put in designer's springs and still had the original clutch, the clutch was still working good when I pulled the motor at 185,000. Pulled the designer springs and put them in the replacement engine, about 45,000 miles ago. Have only ran 10w40 car oil since the bike had 13,000 on it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

I've heard a lot of positives about the designer springs. The only negative might be that you need to be a gorilla to squeeze the clutch lever, it's pretty stiff on the pull with the new springs.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

lonerider wrote:I've heard a lot of positives about the designer springs. The only negative might be that you need to be a gorilla to squeeze the clutch lever, it's pretty stiff on the pull with the new springs.
Even the first time i used it the pull wasn't that much different. After a couple of hours, I didn't even notice it. Believe me, the improvement in the clutch is way more than enough to make up for any extra force required.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Jvogt89
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 01 suzuki intruder vs1400

Post by Jvogt89 »

Thank you all for your answers. I have since contacted designer and will be sending him some money today. Can't wait to get the new springs in and feel the improved response everyone is talking about. I will keep the thread updated.