Front rotor drag on edge, not pad sides

dintruder
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400

Front rotor drag on edge, not pad sides

Post by dintruder »

My front rotor makes an uneven drag noise and it appears there is a bit of vertical spacing variation in the caliper as the wheel is turned. It's almost like the rotor is not centered on the axle and that makes for an uneven rotation. About half of the rotor is shiny on the edge and the other half is dull.

If my description makes any sense, is there a common cause or adjustment that can be done?

Thanks.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Front rotor drag on edge, not pad sides

Post by Lechy »

Usually caused by a build up of dirt on the back of the pad or rust on the piston contact rim.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Lechy wrote:Usually caused by a build up of dirt on the back of the pad or rust on the piston contact rim.
[emoji41]
Also corrosion on the pistons will keep the pistons from properly returning.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

To solve the problem you may have to remove the caliper, split it, and remove both pistons. I've had good luck using a wet and soapy SOS pad to clean the caliper bores and pistons. Make sure you rinse really well with hot water and dry off the parts immediately. Apply brake fluid to the bore and pistons and re-assemble. There is a small O-ring between the caliper casings...be sure not to damage or lose that part.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

When I attempted to drop new pads into my rear caliper, I could not open them wide enough for new pads for the life of me. My friend dropped over with brake cleaning spray, and after spraying liberally and using a small wire brush we got them to retract (without removing the caliper). I ran out and bought a can of brake cleaning fluid, and now I hit my brakes with the stuff on a regular basis.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Everytime I changethe pads I use PB Blaster on the pistons, let it set for about 20 minutes and apply again, then work the pistons in and out until they fully retract, BEFORE I remove the old pads. My 99 has never had the caliper apart, spent most of it's life outdoors, and the brakes work good.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

dintruder wrote:My front rotor makes an uneven drag noise and it appears there is a bit of vertical spacing variation in the caliper as the wheel is turned. It's almost like the rotor is not centered on the axle and that makes for an uneven rotation. About half of the rotor is shiny on the edge and the other half is dull.

If my description makes any sense, is there a common cause or adjustment that can be done?

Thanks.
Might be better if you can post up some pics so we can understand properly, but from what I'm reading you're saying the disc is not centred on the carrier?

If you can jack up the front and spin the wheel you should be able to see the disc move up and down if that is the case. Pretty weird if that is happening though.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Could also be the wheel bearings going out.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

dintruder
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS1400

Post by dintruder »

I'm going to pull off the front wheel and look at the rotor and bearings. I cleaned out the brakes and it didn't help at all. Putting a strait edge on the rotor shows a little light. Maybe it's warped just a small amount.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

Before you pull the wheel, check to see if there is any axle/bearing play. If the wheel is tight, then rotate and watch the lip of the rotor.