Service Manuals--Best one?

1stlttightwad
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VLS1400 Intruder

Service Manuals--Best one?

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Clymer vs Chilton vs Factory.. Looks like I just became my own bike wrencher.. Front carb is running rich, maybe even the rear.. Got a quote from our only local bike shop of between $ 200 to $ 300 to correct and possibly do a sync.. The download manual we have barely even mentions the A/f screws other than to say Preset.. Of the 2, Clymer or Chilton which one does not leave out critical information and has decent photos. I also run into the manuals only go to 2006 for the VS1400. I can darn sure read and follow instructions rather than pay those prices quoted. Your input and opinions are so very welcome. Dave

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Service Manuals--Best one?

Post by Lechy »

Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The factory service manual is far superior to the other 2.
Little known facts like popping out the A/F plugs can be found from the wrenches here. JMO

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Just a tip: if you put your general location in your user data, you just may have someone nearby who will drop over to help you learn this bike.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

1stlttightwad
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Navigator.. the reason I am considering the Clymer type manuals is the factory manual we can down load on here only mentions that the A/F are Preset. Using word find there is no other mention.. I am hoping there is a more detailed description in the Clymer.. To Wintersol.. I looked at the carb diagrams and it shows a screw slotted plug cover and not a Welsh plug which would need to be drilled, screwed and wiggled out. Is that correct for a 2008 1400? As far as location I am smack dab in the middle of the state east to west on Hwy 84 and only 12 miles from Florida in the small town of Quitman, Ga. Don't believe anyone is close by... Thanks to all for taking time to help.. Dave :clap:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

The parts diagrams make the pilot screw plug look like a slotted screw head for the plug, but it is really a flat bit of brass, usually with a small hole in the center. I haven't looked at a new model, but that's what it has been for all the ones I have seen, both 1400 and 800
#12 http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... etor-front
#52 http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... retor-rear

You can drill the center, so you can turn a small, self-threading screw into it to pull it out, if it doesn't spin out with the drill. Be very careful to limit how deep the drill will go to about 3/32" or less; you don't want to hit the pilot screw with it.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

1stlttightwad
Tricycles are Cool

Post by 1stlttightwad »

Thank you again Wintrsol.. I did order the Clymer manual based on the examples shown on the web site pages as samples of what you will see.. Looked like clear photos and numbering to correspond with the instructions. I have put everything on hold waiting to see the manual.. The link you posted is the reason I said it was a slotted screw.. The manual only goes to 2007 so I guess we will see what changes were made over the years. Heh, heh.. maybe the Japanese engineers realized their pencils need erasers too .. ALL of mine do.. well except my carpenter pencils..Measure twice, cut once. Dave

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Post by 1sttightwad »

98VS1400. You are so right.. The people here have real world knowledge on our beloved Intruder series.. I will trust their answers way before some person "trying" to explain a procedure in a manual.,. I feel that the manual writers suffer from.. "We can't say that or we might get sued if they follow our instructions." so just leave it out. Thank you Sir for ALL of your help.. Dave
PS: Example.. Lechy posted pics of the real A/F screw location.. What a god send.
Thank you Lechy dear Sir.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

[emoji106] :cheers:

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.