Aftermarket Pipes

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Aftermarket Pipes

Post by RapidRoy »

I decided to make a thread about aftermarket pipes for the vs1400/s83.

This could benefit others that currently have a stock setup but are looking for aftermarket pipes. Anyone with aftermarket pipes should chime in, tell us what you've got, your experience with them, how they sound, what they cost, where you got them, re-jetting or not, ect. If anyone has made custom pipes and they care to share them that would be cool too.

My 1400 has Cobra Boulevard Two-Sided Slash Cut Slip-On pipes. I don't know much about them since they were on the bike when I bought it but they sound good to me and are really easy to take off/put on.

how to upload pics

https://ibb.co/f86Bn5

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Re: Aftermarket Pipes

Post by Blaine »

I have the cobras....No rejet as the intake is stock.I like these pipes as the baffles are easily removable to change sound if wanted.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

GarageIntruder
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1987 Intruder 1400

Post by GarageIntruder »

I'm 100% sure what exhaust I have, but it looks like a model of Raask. No re-jet to my knowledge, and this was before I fixed my carburetor leak.

[youtube][/youtube]

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Post by pmhearns12 »

I too like blaine have cobra drags on mine, i have them lollipopped and mine is jetted, its a long story lol. I plan on upgrading the intske in near future as now i am running rich... its not TOO rich but i think the intense central florida heat and traffic in the afternoon warrents a slightly rich xondition as to help keep the engine a little on the cool side. Plus itll lean out when yhe temp stsrts to drop

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

I have the Cobra 2 into 1 on my 1500 and love them. The sound is perfect. Not too loud but loud enough.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

pmhearns12 wrote:I too like blaine have cobra drags on mine, i have them lollipopped and mine is jetted, its a long story lol. I plan on upgrading the intske in near future as now i am running rich... its not TOO rich but i think the intense central florida heat and traffic in the afternoon warrents a slightly rich xondition as to help keep the engine a little on the cool side. Plus itll lean out when yhe temp stsrts to drop
Mine was never jetted & even with the pipes runs slitely rich....Id rather that than running lean........I hear people complaining about how cold blooded & hard to start when the temps drop........I have no cold start issues & hardly ever use the choke above 10 12 degrees C.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

PrinceMo
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1988 1400cc Intruder

Post by PrinceMo »

I like CM2 PIPES.
I have nasty twins on my bike.
To do it right the bike should be uncorked with bigger jets and pod air filters.
I like K&N air filters.
They cost more but they can be cleaned about every 30,000 miles so you only buy them once.

I have a set of CM2 shorty pipes that are about 10 inches shorter that the org.
They dump a few inches behind the battery box.
I will include the adaptors and the slash cut tips.
I think i have them listed for $125.00.
Check the flea market or swapmeet page here for photos.

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

Vance & Hines Classic II
Forgot where I got it from and it was a few years ago, so price could have changed since.
Factory Pro 1.0 kit, stock airboxes and filters.
The sound is deep and could be loud when WOT, but quiet at low RPM.

MajorWolf
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs1400 cbr1100xx etv1000 St955

Post by MajorWolf »

Full Jardine drag pipes, lovely sound. Modified airboxes with K&N drop in's, upjetted, needle's raised, slides drilled and springs clipped. Just waiting on a set of designer springs so it can actually put that power down.
Really nice sounding pipes, you can tick along and not tooo loud or open her up and lettum know your coming :rock:

Standard headers with chrome shorties on, very loud! proper crack to it! Just need to upjet as running too lean atm

RapidRoy
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by RapidRoy »

MajorWolf wrote:Full Jardine drag pipes, lovely sound. Modified airboxes with K&N drop in's, upjetted, needle's raised, slides drilled and springs clipped. Just waiting on a set of designer springs so it can actually put that power down.
Really nice sounding pipes, you can tick along and not tooo loud or open her up and lettum know your coming :rock:

Those Jardine pipes look wicked :rock:

MajorWolf
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs1400 cbr1100xx etv1000 St955

Post by MajorWolf »

RapidRoy wrote: Those Jardine pipes look wicked :rock:
Yeah they sound really bloody nice too, no sharp crack just a deep knarly growl! Going thru small streets you can tick along in 3rd or 4th and not make too much of a noise..

You gotta wrap them headers though.. i've also made a heat shield for the left rear one that wraps around the pot, as even wrapped it was still too bloody hot! I've burnt thru two trousers before that, not cool!

woodsnake
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1995 VS1400

Post by woodsnake »

I am new to this version of " intruder alert", and have been away from my bike for a longer while than I like..
Any way, I had purchased a set of 1400 exhaust pipes that had a set of aftermarket mufflers on them.
Now that I have a home of my own, and a few minutes to look at them, I see that they are Harley Screamin' Eagle II's...
So, I decided I don't want to look like I am trying to sound like a Harley. Not that I hate on the HD products, at all....And if I could afford one, I might. But, for me, for now, the Intruder is the bike of my dreams..
To the point-I bought another set of 1400 exhaust, with out the header pipes, just the mufflers and hardware. My current stock exhaust seems to have a leak. They sound OK, and actually pretty nice for a stock set up. But, I want something louder,,So I bought these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Suzuki-Int ... 2749.l2649
With out the header pipes.
I am not anticipating any need for re-jetting,as I will not modify the intake.
Do you all have any input on these muffs?

woodsnake
Tricycles are Cool

Post by woodsnake »

Quick update- I installed my new/used ebay purchase this afternoon.
I like them very much! They are louder enough than my stockers, and they have a nice, mellow raspiness to them, when you let off the gas, while accelerating. And yes, "slip on" is the definition. R&R old and new, maybe 30 minutes.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I make my own.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Did you see what happened there, did you see the difference in results. Some change pipes and get rich result ( unlikely infact bloody mechanically impossible).

Some re jet, changing mains which is totally unnecessary.

Hey ho here we go --

PrinceMo
Passed the Circle Test

Post by PrinceMo »

woodsnake
Tricycles are Cool

Post by woodsnake »

So, here may be a stupid question, but how does one verify that they either do, or do not need to change jets, after a change in exhaust? My pipes were already discolored when I got the bike, so the quick visual is out. The bike does feel like it runs a little better, perhaps, or just that much more fun with the new sound...
Is there a range of exhaust temps that would be considered rich or lean, or do you have to take it to a dyno?
And/or does the dyno shop have an O2 sensor that they use to determine % of unburned fuel, as the deciding factor?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

If you have kept and are using the original headers a change of muffler cans should only need a little tweak of the AF settings. But, if you have installed larger ID headers thinking you will get better performance, all you will have achieved is the opening of a can of worms.
The OEM headers have double walls ( well, the 750/800's do) so discoloration shouldn't be a problem.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

woodsnake wrote:So, here may be a stupid question, but how does one verify that they either do, or do not need to change jets, after a change in exhaust? My pipes were already discolored when I got the bike, so the quick visual is out. The bike does feel like it runs a little better, perhaps, or just that much more fun with the new sound...
Is there a range of exhaust temps that would be considered rich or lean, or do you have to take it to a dyno?
And/or does the dyno shop have an O2 sensor that they use to determine % of unburned fuel, as the deciding factor?
No--that is not a stupid question infact its one of the smartest Ive heard on an exhaust swap thread.

If your bike runs ok, ie --still needs a little choke, runs better when warm, does not stall and can rev up and return to idle without issues, no flat spots and pules well and does not flutter under hard pulling and is generally easy to drive around down then it does not need re jetting and even then DO NOT change mains.

The Mikuni BS 36 has an adjustable idle jet that will satisfy the general running up to and over 1/4 throttle. You may swap out the needle but not the mains.

The main jet controls the max flo your carb can handle --so if you are pulling a caravan up hill at 100MPH then your mains may come into question.

Stock mains are 175 that means 1.75mm and that is a big hole ---and don't forget that you have 2 carbs. This will flow an enormous amount of fuel.

PrinceMo
Passed the Circle Test

Post by PrinceMo »

Only use makuni jets.
It depends on where you live.
Im at sea level in los Angeles.
I have K&N pod filters, no air boxes and CM2 pipes

I use 145 front main and 155 rear main.

If you have stock filters and air boxes your air flow will be restricted.
You may get by without rejetting.
However you wont make much more power.

Also you need to be sure your carbs are in sync.
If not the bike will run hot and be hard to start.