New Battery

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

New Battery

Post by Forge »

I've always purchased my batteries off the shelf, but this time I decided to order a Yuasa online. I knew I would have to add the included acid to it, which I have no problem doing, but how long should I charge this battery before using it? I was planning on installing it in my '05 S83 and just plugging in my schumacher trickle charger for 24 hours. What is the recommended minimum time to slow charge one?
Arthritis sucks!

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Re: New Battery

Post by Spacecoast »

There should be instructions. Last time I did one it stated to allow acid to be in battery for 30 minutes prior to charging. After that, I used my smart-charger which is a schumacher 1.5amp, and allowed it to charge until the green light came on. Green light means fully charged and charger is now on maintenance mode.

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

Me too - Yuasa battery, filled and left for and hour, charged the whole day (I dont like leaving chargers unattended), and loving its 'oomph' compared to the old MotoBatt
Ya hya chouhada!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Thanks guys. I found the instructions in the bag with the acid vials. I Iet it soak for an hour per the instructions for batteries with more than 12Ah. I have my Schumacker 1.5 on it as of 8:45 pm and I am leaving it on overnight and will check the status in the morning.
Arthritis sucks!

PrinceMo
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1988 1400cc Intruder

Post by PrinceMo »

Not one of the better batterys.
What is the warranty ?
What did it cost?

Did you ask anybody?

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

I've had good luck with Yuasa...but the purpose of the thread was to get info on the set-up and charging...not an interrogation.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Next time you need a battery, get a gbat. No charging or trickle charger needed. Just install and forget about it for years of dependable service.

http://www.gmanindustries.com/shop/pc/G ... es-c38.htm

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

franktiregod wrote:Next time you need a battery, get a gbat. No charging or trickle charger needed. Just install and forget about it for years of dependable service.

Thanks for the link but my Yuasa was half that price. I can deal with the prep and charging for that kind of savings.
Arthritis sucks!

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Forge wrote:
franktiregod wrote:Next time you need a battery, get a gbat. No charging or trickle charger needed. Just install and forget about it for years of dependable service.

Thanks for the link but my Yuasa was half that price. I can deal with the prep and charging for that kind of savings.
Prep, charging, maintainer and then how long does it last? My gbat is going strong 6 years now and never had a tender hooked to it.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

franktiregod wrote:
Forge wrote:

Prep, charging, maintainer and then how long does it last? My gbat is going strong 6 years now and never had a tender hooked to it.
My GS1100 has a Wally World battery that has been in it for 5 years, added water once, still working good, cost less than $40.

The same brand of battery has been in my 1400 for 3 years, cost less than $70. Still going strong. Check it once a year, never had to add water.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:
Forge wrote:

My GS1100 has a Wally World battery that has been in it for 5 years, added water once, still working good, cost less than $40.

The same brand of battery has been in my 1400 for 3 years, cost less than $70. Still going strong. Check it once a year, never had to add water.

Then you have had much better lick than myself or anyone else I have known with those things.

But I never have to check the water or use a maintainer. [emoji2]

To each his own but I bet if you used a gbat you would never go back.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

franktiregod wrote:
Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:
Forge wrote:

Then you have had much better lick than myself or anyone else I have known with those things.

Never gonna try another gel bat, of any make. Tried them twice, both times had catastrophic failures that left me stranded.

Once I left the taillite on at work, battery dead, couldn't jump it, even with jumper hooked up for 20 minutes. Even after buying a wally world battery and getting home, the damn thing would not take a charge.

Second time I was on the freeway and the bike just quit, no warning, nothing. I have never had that type of failures with standard batts. No standard battery has EVER completely stranded me, even failures have always given me plenty of warning.

Screw the gel bats.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:
Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:
Forge wrote:

Never gonna try another gel bat, of any make. Tried them twice, both times had catastrophic failures that left me stranded.

Once I left the taillite on at work, battery dead, couldn't jump it, even with jumper hooked up for 20 minutes. Even after buying a wally world battery and getting home, the damn thing would not take a charge.

Second time I was on the freeway and the bike just quit, no warning, nothing. I have never had that type of failures with standard batts. No standard battery has EVER completely stranded me, even failures have always given me plenty of warning.

Screw the gel bats.

Now thats funny because I swear I had just the opposite experience. The ONLY battery to leave me stranded was one of those parts store,add your acid crap batteries.

The gbats are so good I have bought three for three different bikes. Even bought one for the C90 I had and it had a new battery in it. I gave that battery to Steve (Riddler) from IA.

As I said, on this one I am six years in and never had a battery tender on it and it never left me stranded. Many, many people on the old IA gavr strong recommendations for them and thats how I tried the first one.

I am curious though. You said gel batteries and not a gbat. You realize the when I say gbat I mean the battery from Gman, right?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Yeah, I do know that you are talking about the Gbatt.

The first one I don't remember the brand, the second was the motobatt.

Will NEVER use a gel batt, of any brand, again.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:Yeah, I do know that you are talking about the Gbatt.

Maybe you should have used the Gbat. [emoji2]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

franktiregod wrote:

Yeah, 3 times the price of the one I am using, that does the job just fine... Just not worth it to me financially and I value my peace of mind.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Herb wrote:
franktiregod wrote:

Yeah, 3 times the price of the one I am using, that does the job just fine... Just not worth it to me financially and I value my peace of mind.

That was a joke. Calm down. Dont make me get the taser out. (Which incidentally is operated and performs flawlessly by a Gbat)

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

franktiregod wrote:
Next time you need a battery, get a gbat. No charging or trickle charger needed. Just install and forget about it for years of dependable service.
I recently bought a gbat, and while it was a PITA to install; I'm pretty happy with it. (plus I'm sure it will never fall out) You say you don't use a trickle charger, but how cold does it get where you live? I ride in cold weather, and don't put the bike away until it snows. Will my Gbat kick over my 1400 in cold weather? I have a "Battery Tender" trickle charger, but I didn't hook up the pigtail because I liked how everything went together under the cover. With my last battery, I had to cut the plastic cover to accommodate the pigtail. I'm just wondering if I will be able to get through the winter without a trickle charger.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Spacecoast »

You could hook up the + to the starter solenoid rather to the battery and ground to frame. That way you don't disturb the battery install.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

JamesC wrote:
franktiregod wrote:
I recently bought a gbat, and while it was a PITA to install; I'm pretty happy with it. (plus I'm sure it will never fall out) You say you don't use a trickle charger, but how cold does it get where you live? I ride in cold weather, and don't put the bike away until it snows. Will my Gbat kick over my 1400 in cold weather? I have a "Battery Tender" trickle charger, but I didn't hook up the pigtail because I liked how everything went together under the cover. With my last battery, I had to cut the plastic cover to accommodate the pigtail. I'm just wondering if I will be able to get through the winter without a trickle charger.
I live in Georgia and ride year round. People who live in places where they have to put a bike in storage due to weather are strange and cant be trusted. [emoji2]

Now, let me tell you when I first became a gbat believer. Years ago, I bought several things from gman. One of them was a gbat although I didnt need it at the time.

I sat it on my garage shelf to install "later". Well when I finally got around to installing it I realized it was exactly one year since I purchased it. I installed it and it fired the bike right up after sitting on a shelf for a year with NO charger at all! It was still in the bike when I sold it.

I can tell you this, my gbat has NEVER failed me in any kind of weather.

IIRC, they even say dont use a regular tender on them. They offer one but I never needed it. My battery is six years old and going strong.