Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Progressive rear shocks

Post by Herb »

Forge wrote:
m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:
navigator wrote:
Forge wrote:Do they come with new rubber bushings?
Yes, they are plug and play. you get a bag of bushings as well to sleeve any stud to the needed diameter.
They also come with a spanner wrench for adjusting them.
Sweet. Perhaps this may be my next investment. I am very curious about how they affect the ride since I had spinal surgery a year ago and stiill have issues.
I also have a low back problem so i bought a Protac driver back rest. Had to adjust it a bit by bending the bars but i wouldnt be without it now. :cheers:
Going to look into that. Just when I thought I was almost done spending money on my bike...
You will NEVER be done spending money on a bike. There is always one more thing that you need or would be really nice to have.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Post by m2h »

Herb wrote:
Forge wrote:
m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:
navigator wrote:
Forge wrote:Do they come with new rubber bushings?
Yes, they are plug and play. you get a bag of bushings as well to sleeve any stud to the needed diameter.
They also come with a spanner wrench for adjusting them.
Sweet. Perhaps this may be my next investment. I am very curious about how they affect the ride since I had spinal surgery a year ago and stiill have issues.
I also have a low back problem so i bought a Protac driver back rest. Had to adjust it a bit by bending the bars but i wouldnt be without it now. :cheers:
Going to look into that. Just when I thought I was almost done spending money on my bike...
You will NEVER be done spending money on a bike. There is always one more thing that you need or would be really nice to have.
I think we all agree there Herb :cheers: Bought a can of disc brake quiet and put in on today havent had a ride yet. Maybe Saturday. Got to go to a memorial service.
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Baysideintruder
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1992 VS 800

Post by Baysideintruder »

I put Progressive rears on my 92 VS800. The ride went from bouncing like a yo-yo on the highway to smooth and safe.
FYI Not sure if the 1400 is same as 800 but my shock nuts were behind a chrome cap. They were ugly gold looking nuts.
When I fitted new shocks the nut was now exposed. Just didn't look right.
I ordered chrome washers and Pike nuts from Low Brow Customs. Double check your thread pitch before ordering.
I must say it looks sweet.
Good luck. You wont be disappointed.
:rock:

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Baysideintruder wrote:I put Progressive rears on my 92 VS800. The ride went from bouncing like a yo-yo on the highway to smooth and safe.
FYI Not sure if the 1400 is same as 800 but my shock nuts were behind a chrome cap. They were ugly gold looking nuts.
I ordered chrome washers and Pike nuts from Low Brow Customs. Double check your thread pitch before ordering.
yep.....1400 is the same......I changed to chrome acorn nuts also.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Baysideintruder wrote:I put Progressive rears on my 92 VS800. The ride went from bouncing like a yo-yo on the highway to smooth and safe.
Thanks bro, they should be here in a week .
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

m2h wrote:
Thanks bro, they should be here in a week .
Well i got the new shocks on last Friday but couldnt get out for test ride til this afternoon. Had them set on the third(middle) cam
as a start point and took the bike over some of my favourite bumps. While i could still feel them, there was a sutle smoothing out of the disruption. :smile: Ok so, as i rarely if ever expect to go two up i think i will wind them down one more position and do a rerun. General handling felt quite tight so am pretty happy so far. BUT ! Reaffirmed that i have a miss :bang: Hard rollon to wot from about 50mph brings on this annoying intermittent but persistant little aberation. It is short and does not seem to happen in any predictable way. Just feed it the fat and there it is!! Does not happen at steady throttle low speed in any gear which is smooth. Ok ,any thoughts? Changed plugs around 2500miles ago but recently had to clean them as they were sooty and causing bad missing. Altered a/f screws and got them looking much better.
M2H

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

A carb synch never goes amiss.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Lechy wrote:A carb synch never goes amiss.
[emoji41]
MMMMM was not contemplating doing that so soon Lechy did that when i finally uncorked the beast. Would six months and about 10 ,000 km have altered things that much? Its annoying but only if i'm being a hoon [emoji2] Which is enough to be a bit of a bitch :rag: LOL. It feels like a spark issue rather than anything else. Considering Iridium plugs. Any thoughts ? Herb reckons they're good but not much other comment! Lowered the shock setting one cam so will see if it helps.
M2H

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

The only real advantage with Iridium is that they last a whole lot longer. You might dismantle the plug caps and give all the contacting surfaces a clean then cut the leads back about 1/4".
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Did the 13" Progressive shocks alter the ride height any? I am inseam challenged and the stock height is fine for me. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a set.

Also, how much do they firm up the ride? I've had back surgery and have continuing issues there. I don't want to jar my spine too much.
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:Did the 13" Progressive shocks alter the ride height any? I am inseam challenged and the stock height is fine for me. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a set.

Also, how much do they firm up the ride? I've had back surgery and have continuing issues there. I don't want to jar my spine too much.

Hi Forge. No mate the height was the same. As i said^ the ride just seemed to be firmer as in smooth not as in hard if you get my drift. I've not yet had chance to ride since i turned them to a softer position ( 2nd cam) but will try today and post for you. I also have a long standing back issue so like you i was not wanting to fork out for these things but i feel they are better. I fitted a ProTac back rest and man that was a game changer. Cheaper too [emoji2] Been trying to post a pik but Photo bucket is being a bitch :bang:
Any other easier ones that are free!
M2H

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:Did the 13" Progressive shocks alter the ride height any? I am inseam challenged and the stock height is fine for me. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a set.

Hi Forge. No mate the height was the same. As i said^ the ride just seemed to be firmer as in smooth not as in hard if you get my drift. I've not yet had chance to ride since i turned them to a softer position ( 2nd cam) but will try today and post for you. I also have a long standing back issue so like you i was not wanting to fork out for these things but i feel they are better. I fitted a ProTac back rest and man that was a game changer. Cheaper too [emoji2] Been trying to post a pik but Photo bucket is being a bitch :bang:
Thank you. I am looking forward to the update!
Arthritis sucks!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

I also see that Progressive's website is saying that .25" travel limiters are required. What are they?
Arthritis sucks!

Rick
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

Post by Rick »

Baysideintruder wrote: I ordered chrome washers and Pike nuts from Low Brow Customs. Double check your thread pitch before ordering.
I know those are 10 mm bolts but is the thread pitch 1.25 or 1.5 mm?

Thanks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:I also see that Progressive's website is saying that .25" travel limiters are required. What are they?
No idea mate. All i got in the box was 2 x shocks, a bunch of steel bushes, a little pak of grease and a "C" spanner for adjustments,plus instructions. Easy peasy :clap: Didn't make it out today hopefully tomorrow [emoji2]
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Rick wrote:
Baysideintruder wrote: I ordered chrome washers and Pike nuts from Low Brow Customs. Double check your thread pitch before ordering.
I know those are 10 mm bolts but is the thread pitch 1.25 or 1.5 mm?

Thanks!
Just went and checked Rick they are 1.25 pitch(metric fine)
M2H

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

m2h wrote:

https://postimg.org/files.php

seems to work good.

I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Herb wrote:
m2h wrote:

seems to work good.

Thanks for the link Herb. Signed up but cant even upload anything :bang: Technology sucks. Emailed the site so will wait and see.
M2H

Rick
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

Post by Rick »

m2h wrote: Just went and checked Rick they are 1.25 pitch(metric fine)
Awesome!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

m2h wrote:
Herb wrote:
m2h wrote:

seems to work good.

Thanks for the link Herb. Signed up but cant even upload anything :bang: Technology sucks. Emailed the site so will wait and see.
Well Forge i went out to fill up with gas ( about 8miles one way) with the shocks set on 2nd cam and it was a little softer. You could feel a bit of bounce rather than a jolt. I'm gonna leave it there for awhile and maybe try em on the 1st cam at some stage.
Dont go touring too much but i think with my full big rack pack on it should be about right. I feel pretty good about them now. :clap:
Cheers
M2H