Progressive rear shocks

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Progressive rear shocks

Post by m2h »

Just bought myself a set of 13" 412 shocks for the '03. Would you all chip in and tell me why they were good . Pleeeeease! Got to try and get to them in the post before you know who sees em first. Luckily she dont take much notice of the bike and they look similiar to the stock ones [emoji2] Havent got round to fixing my pumpkin weep yet so will do these at the same time :naughty:
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Progressive rear shocks

Post by navigator »

She won't see them behind your new saddlebags. [emoji2]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When I told my wife I was going to buy new shocks, she said, why, you got plenty of clean ones in your drawer.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Tell her it's clearly a handling safety issue. [emoji41]

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

navigator wrote:Tell her it's clearly a handling safety issue. [emoji41]
:lmao: Thanks for the humour guys :bow: Now, can anyone who has these fitted tell me how absolutely marvelous they are and how i havent wasted squillions of dollars?? Too frikking late now anyways i suppose - but would like to hear from someone!! [emoji106]
:cheers: :cheers:
M2H

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I fitted Progressive shocks and fork springs to my VS800, and the handling immediately improved on rough pavement, like old blacktop; it felt better planted, with no tendency to jump around. For me, that was more than worth the price. I would expect the same on the 1400 to be true.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

I'm following this thread. Please report back once they are installed and you take your bike out for a good ride. I just ordered the front springs to help with dive, but I am hesitant to spend that much on the rear shocks until I hear more feedback on them.
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

WintrSol wrote:I fitted Progressive shocks and fork springs to my VS800, and the handling immediately improved on rough pavement, like old blacktop; it felt better planted, with no tendency to jump around. For me, that was more than worth the price. I would expect the same on the 1400 to be true.
Thanks for the reply mate. Ive fitted progressive fork springs already and found a big improvement there. I used 20w oil also as the bushes were a bit worn but it seems to be all ok.
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:I'm following this thread. Please report back once they are installed and you take your bike out for a good ride. I just ordered the front springs to help with dive, but I am hesitant to spend that much on the rear shocks until I hear more feedback on them.
Hi Forge yep i will do. May take a week or two. Dont know your bike year or milage but check the bushes the inner tube slides in for wear. I used 20w oil instead of 10w when i did my forks worked good.
M2H

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

After about 40K miles, my stock shocks had faded to the point where I would bottom out the rear with even the lightest luggage.
I dialed up the setting to no avail.
I installed stock length Progressives in the rear, run on step 3, and Progressive fork springs in the front with 15 weight oil.
Rides like a dream, supports large tour packs and I now have over 50K on them...90K total.

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

The stock ones are like Pogo stick, which would be good to put someone you don't like on the passenger seat and hit a bump hard to throw the person off the seat :jester:

Mine did leak after about a year (less than 2k miles), but they replace them under warranty and have been good since then.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Do they come with new rubber bushings?
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

navigator wrote:After about 40K miles, my stock shocks had faded to the point where I would bottom out the rear with even the lightest luggage.
I dialed up the setting to no avail.
I installed stock length Progressives in the rear, run on step 3, and Progressive fork springs in the front with 15 weight oil.
Rides like a dream, supports large tour packs and I now have over 50K on them...90K total.
Thanks Nav thats what i want to hear :bow: Got about 40K on mine so maybe its time to do them anyway :naughty:
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:Do they come with new rubber bushings?
If you mean in the eyes of the shocks i should think /hope so :confused: If you mean the bushes i mention in the forks post they are
short tubes about 1" long and look like white metal.
M2H

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Yes, they are plug and play. you get a bag of bushings as well to sleeve any stud to the needed diameter.
They also come with a spanner wrench for adjusting them.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

navigator wrote:
Yes, they are plug and play. you get a bag of bushings as well to sleeve any stud to the needed diameter.
Sweet. Perhaps this may be my next investment. I am very curious about how they affect the ride since I had spinal surgery a year ago and stiill have issues.
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:
navigator wrote:
Sweet. Perhaps this may be my next investment. I am very curious about how they affect the ride since I had spinal surgery a year ago and stiill have issues.
I also have a low back problem so i bought a Protac driver back rest. Had to adjust it a bit by bending the bars but i wouldnt be without it now. :cheers:
M2H

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:
navigator wrote:
I also have a low back problem so i bought a Protac driver back rest. Had to adjust it a bit by bending the bars but i wouldnt be without it now. :cheers:
My back is a long way from what it was even 30 years ago.

For years now I have been using an adjustable backrest. Best accessory that I have ever used.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

When you install them, do one side at a time, much easier than jacking the bike around. :cheers:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:
navigator wrote:
Going to look into that. Just when I thought I was almost done spending money on my bike...
Arthritis sucks!