sqeaky brakes

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

sqeaky brakes

Post by m2h »

H i was just reading a previous post and someone mentioned brakes and it triggered a question. My 1400 has had a sqeaky front brake since i bought it and when i had new tires on i asked the mechanic about it and he buffed the pads on the wire wheel and that stopped it for a while but now they're both doing it. Its annoying. I dont know what type they are but i will replace them shortly.
Anyone got any preferences ? I looked thru posts on brakes but after a million with no luck i gave up . :bang:
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Re: sqeaky brakes

Post by Blaine »

I like EBC's.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

There are a number of products out there to put on the back of the pad. CRC makes a product called "disc brake quiet".

Works well.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Herb wrote:There are a number of products out there to put on the back of the pad. CRC makes a product called "disc brake quiet".

Works well.
Thanks guys might try the "disc brake quiet" as the pads have a bit of wear yet. I dont use them much :naughty:
Will look up the EBC brand too :bow:
:cheers:
M2H

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

CRC brake quiet works well, so do SBS brake shims.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

navigator wrote:CRC brake quiet works well, so do SBS brake shims.
Thanks Nav Will have a good look at those too :cheers:
M2H

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

In either case, discard the old stock shims.

subin
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2007 s83

Post by subin »

CRC Brake Quiet is also what I use to stopped the squeak.

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

I know this is an old thread...but are you guys talking about squeak/squeal when braking or when not braking? Mine give an intermittent squeal while just coasting to a halt (and probably more often - I just can't hear it lol). Same fix?
Ya hya chouhada!

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Pvt_Nemesis wrote:I know this is an old thread...but are you guys talking about squeak/squeal when braking or when not braking? Mine give an intermittent squeal while just coasting to a halt (and probably more often - I just can't hear it lol). Same fix?
If the squeak is pulsing, especially if the rate is linked to the speed, the disc may be warped just enough to make contact as it spins. If it is more random, the caliper may just need a good cleaning.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

In over 50 years and over 30 bikes only had one disc warp.It only showed a little down around 30 mph when braking and since on a drag bike never replaced it. I often take real fine sand paper and block sand the disc on a old bike I get before taking calipers apart to grease moving parts and clean.May not help but if setting for five years like two were helps the looks.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

An easier fix may be to try some brake cleaning fluid first. I use the stuff on a regular basis, mostly because the last time I changed my pads the pistons were so gunked up I had trouble retracting them. But I do a lot of stop and go city riding, so my brakes get a real workout.

Pvt_Nemesis
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2006 S83 Boulevard

Post by Pvt_Nemesis »

WintrSol wrote:If the squeak is pulsing, especially if the rate is linked to the speed, the disc may be warped just enough to make contact as it spins. If it is more random, the caliper may just need a good cleaning.
Thanks mate - it wasnt pulsing...just pad dragging on the disk it seemed. Gave it a really good cleaning and swapped pads left for right which gave no squeak on the way to work this morning so better already
Ya hya chouhada!

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

It is very common for brake dust and other road grime to build up in the gap between the piston and cylinder; that grime prevents the seal from retracting the pad when the pressure is released. Sometimes it takes a good scrub, other times a spray with brake system cleaner will loosen it enough.

Another spot that can cause improper pad retraction is the pressure relief hole in the bottom of the reservoir; if it gets blocked, the pressure builds up at the fluid heats.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie