Restore -OR- Revamp

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Restore -OR- Revamp

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

It's a land-slide for restore. lol. And with good reason.. so shall it be. I will definitely keep all up to date and pics coming on all.
Speedo housing and the glass was shot so I may be able to just remove the bezel with glass and replace with another. We shall see. lol.
Prodigal_Sun wrote:
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:the chopper I have to finish
I'm giving more and more serious thought to chopping mine. I've been comparing the Seeger and AME kits 'ad infinitum'

I like the price of the Seeger and the better instructions, but I like the different sizes/angles they offer on the AME and that they list what all it comes with...
Kool beans brother. Let us know if and when you decide.. and post pics for us too. I forget which mine is.

Truckingeek
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Ones with two wheels

Post by Truckingeek »

Don't do either......

Just sell it to me real cheap and I shall take care of it. [emoji106]

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Truckingeek wrote:Don't do either......

Just sell it to me real cheap and I shall take care of it. [emoji106]
:lmao: :cheers:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

So.. I put a battery pack to it and everything works but no cranking or priming. Jumped clutch switch wires and nothing. Jumped starter relay and it cranks. Knowing it should still at least prime if clutch switch is inoperable.. Leads me to believe maybe kill switch is at fault.. But everything inside that housing is super clean. Aside from the start button having no action to it (Perhaps one of the wires were damaged but so far no eveidence).. The bike is clean and shiny for the most part.
The front axle is bent. One of the turn stops on lower tree is shaved off a bit and the stopper on the bottom of the frame neck is bent a bit upward. Unsure at present time if the forks or rim have any bend to them.
Will continue to dig..

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

From the kill switch is an orange and? cable, if this has gotten trapped and is shorting or broken not much will work.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Breaking her down as we speak and will examine the wiring as i go. Thanks brother.
Think i can straighten this out?.. :lolfall:
I believe the fork tubes are bow'd also. Seems like entire front end replacement is in order.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:Breaking her down as we speak and will examine the wiring as i go. Thanks brother.
Think i can straighten this out?.. :lolfall:
I believe the fork tubes are bow'd also. Seems like entire front end replacement is in order.
Errr. NO! :uhh:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

:lmao: You do knows was kidding right? Lol

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote::lmao: You do knows was kidding right? Lol
YUP. :lmao:

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I'll try fixing the images later but for now..
2 questions... Does the dampener bolt at bottom lock anything together in the fork tubes or is it merely a drain bolt and not necessary to remove for disassembly??
Also.. What methods are used to remove the chrome caps covering dust seals on tubes.. They are a pain and tapping a screwdriver on them isn't helping without damage. No worries.. Testing method on spare crap forks. Lol. Help is appreciated.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

BRONX INTRUDER wrote:I'll try fixing the images later but for now..
2 questions... Does the dampener bolt at bottom lock anything together in the fork tubes or is it merely a drain bolt and not necessary to remove for disassembly??
Also.. What methods are used to remove the chrome caps covering dust seals on tubes.. They are a pain and tapping a screwdriver on them isn't helping without damage. No worries.. Testing method on spare crap forks. Lol. Help is appreciated.
ON a VS800 The bolt at the bottom of the tube holds the damper in place. It needs to be removed for complete disassembly of the forks.
It's not a drain.
Take it out and use the tube as a slide hammer to remove the oil seal and slider bushings.

The chrome cap for the dust cover comes off first. start at the detent and work your way around.
Under the dust seal is a circlip that holds the oil seal in place, remove that before you slide hammer it apart.

The 1400 may be similar IIRC.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

navigator wrote:
BRONX INTRUDER wrote:I'll try fixing the images later but for now..
ON a VS800 The bolt at the bottom of the tube holds the damper in place. It needs to be removed for complete disassembly of the forks.
It's not a drain.
Take it out and use the tube as a slide hammer to remove the oil seal and slider bushings.

The chrome cap for the dust cover comes off first. start at the detent and work your way around.
Under the dust seal is a circlip that holds the oil seal in place, remove that before you slide hammer it apart.

The 1400 may be similar IIRC.
Man.. Those chrome covers over dust seals are a pain. Going to p.b. them too. Right now got damper bolts soakin it in with forks upside down. Praying not to strip or snap. Thanks for the intel brother.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

for the damper bolt:
Hold the tube in a vise or lock it in the triple tree.
Use a standard shape allen wrench....long end in the bolt.
Cresent wrench on the short end....takes some ummph to break them loose. There is a copper washer on them to seal the oil.
You may need the spring installed to keep the internals from turning while doing this.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

navigator wrote:for the damper bolt:
Hold the tube in a vise or lock it in the triple tree.
Use a standard shape allen wrench....long end in the bolt.
Cresent wrench on the short end....takes some ummph to break them loose. There is a copper washer on them to seal the oil.
You may need the spring installed to keep the internals from turning while doing this.
Will do brother. Thanks again. Will post up when task completed or another issue arises. Lol

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Right dampner bolt broke loose but left is beginning to slip in hole. SMH.. What to do.. What to do..

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

New battery in her and fired up nicely. Good throttle responce and sounds good aside from the tapping.
Maybe just needs a little bit of run time to loosen up some from her little 1 yr nap?

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Welp.. Gave up on the fork damper bolt and just swapped entire fork with spares i had. Just gotta sand and polish as they aren't as clean and pretty. Lol.

As i'm working on her.. I keep thinking if i should just pull all the tin and do my own paint job since their is damage to it already. Can do all blue or blue with 2 stripes down center? Hmm. Whatcha think?

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Got front fender off ebay. Had everything else already. Pc'ing her back together little by little.

Oh.. Front rim is bent.. Or rather not true. Some spokes are loose which i believe it will straighten out the wobble once i get them tightened up properly.

JamesC
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by JamesC »

I don't know if the guy was pulling my leg, Bronx; but I was told a way to get that dent out of the gas tank would be to drain and flush it, fill it almost to the top with water, and then stick it in a freezer. The expanding water when freezing will pop out the dent. Of course the cap has to be off. Does that sound legit? It kind of makes sense to me.