Drags!

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki s83

Drags!

Post by pmhearns12 »

Got em on!! Love the sound... the bike was still a little cool abd ran great.. once i warmed it up it started poppingg real bad and lagged like crazy... but i think i ran out if gas lol

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Re: Drags!

Post by pmhearns12 »

Ok, my fears i believe are true. I tgink i have to jet... it sputters and bogs and pops like sumb*tch.. i am gonna make some lollipops at work tomorrow to see if that helps but alresdy the header only after about 15 minutes is getting good and gold.

If the lollies do t work, gonna buy baffels, then stage one if thats what it needs. Any thoughts and wish me luck.. im still new to this stuff :putput:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

First try adjusting the AF mix.
Look here: http://www.intruders-alert.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

I did this, kind of... i forgot to set ot for the top side of "chugging" though. So these here screws, as i adjust the screw counter-clockwise, it increases the fuel in the mix correct? I was under the impression these were to help set the idle correctly. Does it control the fuel throughout the entire rev range??

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Effects idle to 1/3 throttle...Out is richer.....Nothing to do with idle speed.....That is done by the black knob on carb after you adjust them....Adjust for smoothest fastest idle.....Make adjustments slowly so bike has time to react.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Baffles are easy to make if you have a bit of equipment. 6" long x 1 1/4" id thin wall black steel tubing. Squeeze the leading end down to a 1/4" gap, bush out the other end to fit snug in your tail pipe, drill 4 x 10 mm holes NSE&W to give 16 in total make sure to leave about 1" of undrilled pipe at the bushed end to act as a pressurized shock absorber. You can experiment with different lengths to get the sound you are comfortable with.
The yellowing of the headers and the popping are because you are running lean, adjusting the AF settings usually sorts this out.

[emoji41]

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Lechy wrote:Baffles are easy to make if you have a bit of equipment. 6" long x 1 1/4" id thin wall black steel tubing. Squeeze the leading end down to a 1/4" gap, bush out the other end to fit snug in your tail pipe, drill 4 x 10 mm holes NSE&W to give 16 in total make sure to leave about 1" of undrilled pipe at the bushed end to act as a pressurized shock absorber. You can experiment with different lengths to get the sound you are comfortable with.
The yellowing of the headers and the popping are because you are running lean, adjusting the AF settings usually sorts this out.

[emoji41]

Yea i know im running lean. And i will try and make some baffels at work today if i can find the time be 'slick' so the boss wont see, or at the very lease make some kind of ghetto lollipop. And I will adjust the screws out today when i get home from work. But its lean through out the rev range.. it idles beauifully, its the beyond 1/3 throttle i have issuee with. Which brings me to this...
Blaine wrote:Effects idle to 1/3 throttle...Out is richer.....Nothing to do with idle speed.....That is done by the black knob on carb after you adjust them....Adjust for smoothest fastest idle.....Make adjustments slowly so bike has time to react.
And so if this is case, after rereading the thread posted earlier, the idle screws wont help me?? Will increasing backpressure by baffling the pipes restore the lean mixture to a more appropriate mixture of fuel thoughout the throttle range? Ugh, this is driving me nuts, i love the bike but its also my first carbuerated bike, and it seems to be a doozy :confused:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Back pressure in the headers is a bad thing, what you want to achieve is a slightly positive pressure in the muffler section which acts as an expansion/collector box also a dampener. What you want to try and avoid are reflected sound/pulse waves. I tried lollipops first and was not at all happy with the results. But by trial and error you should come up with something satisfactory.
If you have main needles with multiple slots, try raising the needles one slot each actual by moving the clip down one slot.
[emoji41]

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Lechy wrote:Back pressure in the headers is a bad thing, what you want to achieve is a slightly positive pressure in the muffler section which acts as an expansion/collector box also a dampener. What you want to try and avoid are reflected sound/pulse waves. I tried lollipops first and was not at all happy with the results. But by trial and error you should come up with something satisfactory.
If you have main needles with multiple slots, try raising the needles one slot each actual by moving the clip down one slot.
[emoji41]
So, i had a hunch about what you are saying, the baffle works more as a cusion (or shock absorber you mentioned) to slow the air down instead of putting a wall in front of it (lollipop) to bounce off of. (Woah, physics man....). Im almost certain my carbs are bone stock, not sure if needles have slots but i will check this afternoon, afyer of course i get it running and then attempt to adjust fuel screws, should i bottom them out cold and go 2.5 turns out THEN warm bike up and go from there, so i know exactly where i am starting from?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Yep, 2.5 turns out is a normal starting point, Check out Youtube, there are some good explanatory vids available they may not be for the Intruder but the principle is the same.

[emoji41]

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

So its getting real close... it runs pretty good now, im waiting on baffles in the mail but for the mean time i made lollipops out of 1" eye bolts and a few bolts and washers. Have the mix screws at about 3 maybe 3.15 turns... it ran at 2.5 but thats basically whwre it was at last night when it was bogging like crazy. So im hoping this will mend some of the lean running conditions and slow yhe color chang of my pipes. Please, if this is wrong let me know.. but im pretty stoked its running better now :rock:

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Blaine »

pmhearns12 wrote:So its getting real close... it runs pretty good now, im waiting on baffles in the mail but for the mean time i made lollipops out of 1" eye bolts and a few bolts and washers. Have the mix screws at about 3 maybe 3.15 turns... it ran at 2.5 but thats basically whwre it was at last night when it was bogging like crazy. So im hoping this will mend some of the lean running conditions and slow yhe color chang of my pipes. Please, if this is wrong let me know.. but im pretty stoked its running better now :rock:
Lollipops will make a noticeable difference.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

So the heavens opened up this afternoon, and rained on my bike from like 12 noon and here it is 4 hours later amd still raining. Bike sat in the rain untik around 3... i rode home and got totally soaked... the entire ride to work bike rode great, was cruising around 75 until got into town and slowed until i got to work, the ride home was the same until i hit the "highway". Was cruising around 60 and went to pass someone going really slow and all of a sudden bike had nothing. No power and was puttering snd popping and back firing like a madman. Even once i slowed down and down shifted and i got same result. I made it home on a firecracker popping and surging much as it did two days ago.. so could i have gotten water in my gas tank from all the rain? It wasnt pouring but it was good and steady... only thing i can think of since it ran great and then this..

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Blaine »

Possable......SeaFoam will take care of any water in the fuel......Drain the bowls will help also.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

In heavy or driving rain the water gets into the spark plug wells and shorts out the spark.

[emoji41]

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Lechy wrote:In heavy or driving rain the water gets into the spark plug wells and shorts out the spark.

[emoji41]
[emoji106] .. that makes me feel better, it ran great once i got her home ad dried off.

Btw, lechy. I saw your bikes on the pics page... are those m109 forks you have on youre inturder? Looks so nice woth inverted forks

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Dunno where the forks came from, they were on the bike when I bought her, The PO said they were off a Yam but I don't know which one.
[emoji41]

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

all of a sudden bike had nothing. No power and was puttering snd popping and back firing like a madman.
Yep, sounds like the rain shorted a spark plug. Happens to a number of bikes.

pmhearns12
Learning My Moped

Post by pmhearns12 »

Blaine wrote:Possable......SeaFoam will take care of any water in the fuel......Drain the bowls will help also.
Spacecoast wrote:
all of a sudden bike had nothing. No power and was puttering snd popping and back firing like a madman.
Yep, sounds like the rain shorted a spark plug. Happens to a number of bikes.

So happened again on my way to work this morning. About 12 minutes into my ride, headed up the bridge and all of sudden power loss. Giving it more throttle does not much of anything, just lots of surging and pops. Still idles nice but once i give it throttle its junk...

I will try and drain the bowls later today

Why does it only do it when its hot? I think i smell rich exhaust, but its popping like its lean? Going to check plugs this afternoon, if i get home... :donno: and given i am using lollipops instead of baffles, should i convert to the baffle? Also REALLY considering buy needles even though everyone is saying i can do it without, im not as good at tuning this bike as i was at tuning my gsxr (good ol efi [emoji14] )

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test

Post by Blaine »

I have lollypops in mine with stock air filter.....I just adjusted PMS & no problem at all........I don't have cold start issues either that I hear a lot of complaints about.