Side of the road, no start...

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Vs1400

Re: Side of the road, no start...

Post by Bobbersrule »

okay 5:30 in the morning on my way to work pull over to have a quick Vape brake turn the bike off turn the bike key on lights came on her to click all lights went out can turn key to park and tail light comes on Blown fuse Maybe?or did my rectifier go bad?

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Sounds more like a bad connection..Check at battery + -
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

They seem tight, everything was fine , its really wierd how it just came on then click nothing, waiting on tools now

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Classical earthing spit. You will need to sandpaper both the battery terminals and the lead lugs, check the connections on the starter solenoid and the earth to frame connections.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

So all connections are tight it will jump start and run at idle but when you try to give it gas it starts sputtering and spitting lights are flashing won't stay on solid did my rectifier go out?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Even tight fixings can oxidize, the OEM battery bolts were about 1 thread too long and would appear tight although they were not, that's the reason we recommend star washers. Check the simple cheap things first before starting to spend cash. My 750 had a problem coughing and spluttering under high revs, I cleaned and balanced the carbs, cleaned up all faces on battery and mounting points but the fault persisted. I finally removed and inspected the earth lead, it was swollen in part and stiff near the battery, I made up a new one and have never had any like problems since.

[emoji41]

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Well I have clean the terminals everything is back tight and clean and making connection I have no power when I turn the key on no lights come on or nothing but I can hook jumper cables up and it'll jump right off and set there and run until I try to give it gas and then it starts sputtering like it's not getting enough power to the coil Nicole can't ignite the gas in the cylinder through the spark plug almost like it's got a rectifier going out but I'm not for sure

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Jump it, don't disconnect the jump leads, see if it will rev up OK, if it does, get your battery load tested. If the battery checks out OK check the connector with the 3 yellow wires they tend to overheat and melt , pull the wires and clean or replace the brass connectors (you will need a very small jeweler's screwdriver for this).

[emoji41]

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Okay I will try that I have just looked at that connector you referred to it's not melted the terminals look okay but it's all I can do on the side of the road is look at it I don't have the tools to take it apart here but I cleaned it as best I could with a knife blade to make sure it's getting a good connection but I still have no lights on my Dash and no headlight no power nothing when I turn the key on unless I hook up jumper cables I have to wait on someone to jump me off because my help had to leave for a doctor's appointment so I have to wait till they get done and come back before I can go any further so I'm sitting here in the sunshine on the side of the road enjoying myself watching the cars drive by

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Not much else you can do by the roadside. The bike should run after a jump even with a duff battery so all I can say is get it home the best you can then get the multimeter out and do some resistance and continuity checks. Not long back I changed out the shifter seal when I fired up the bike wasn't having any of it, turned out that I had broken a couple of wires at the transit seal on the alternator cover I had to replace all 7 due to the fact that they had all become stiff and brittle.

Good luck.

[emoji41]

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

okay was able to lift the bike up the road to AutoZone took the battery out took it in to have it load tested battery wouldn't load test it's only got 9 volts in it I do believe my battery went bad waiting on a trailer now to pick me up so I can go home and then I can work on it more there

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

Yep.....Battery is toast. A god charged battery should show 12.6.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok so out of curiosity, i put a battery charger on the battery, well after all night and most of the day, battery never charged, so yeah battery is bad, oh hell, oh well know what i am buying come payday....also know i have drive the car till then. :sad:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

It would still pay you to find out what voltage you have coming from the alternator to rectifier and the voltage out of the rectifier to the system.
[emoji41]

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Ok got the new Battery yesterday via the lovely lazy USPS direct from Mighty Max Battery (battery with expedited shipping was only 45.94)
put it in & wow bikes runs better than it did, got it all warmed up & did an oil change, then gave the bike a bath.... ALL HAPPY AGAIN :)

:clap: :evil: :rock: :rock: :clap: [emoji41] :cheers: :rag: :putput: :putput: :putput: :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Glad she's up and running for you. Now, take her out and give her a good spanking! :putput:
:cheers:
Arthritis sucks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Good to hear you are sorted.
[emoji41]

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Bobbersrule »

Here we go here we go again 30 miles from home and all of a sudden the bike starts cutting out and losing all power with a brand new battery pull up Side Road it said here and idle the minute I give it gas it's like it just lost all power I think my stator is bad or at least I hope it's the stator and not the box underneath the seat or the rectifier but it acts just like Stater because the lights sitting here at idle pulsing with the bike idling this time I will take the Earth ground completely a loose sanding the heck out of it and put it back together and see what happens but I'm pretty sure it's my stator the way it was pulsing and could be the CDI box but I don't think so but it is 18 years old damn teenager LOL

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

I don't know if the 1400 set up is the same as the 800 but check the wires that come out of the alternator at the transit block. 2 of mine were broken here and this caused a no charge. I replaced the 7 of them with new and the bike has been tickety boo since.

[emoji41]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

So lets see-- you have a new batt and a new reg, these all check out and seems good until you ride it for a while and then it flattens the battery again leaving you stranded. What ever this is it is intermittent and a bastard to find due to the circumstances of it needing a ride.

A Garage would attach a charge gauge and fix it so the rider can see it, it would be ridden till charge failed the fault would then be investigated.

a fault such as this can be a night mare and can necessitate razor blading the whole loom apart to find a fault. This is not as bad as it may seem keeping all the wires intact with tie wraps but relaxing the wires to be inspected. On many bikes the problem is near the stock were the steering is moved back and forth and will eventually break a wire.

You may be able to find it by attaching a charge meter as suggested earlier and sit in the garage with engine running moving the steering back and forth.

A nasty problem good luck.

But as mentioned by some one else check the big 3 yellow wires , because of the heavy current these can get hot and corrode. I think just about every one has had that problem. I cut them off and use chocolate blocks and Vaseline.

Regulators can also suffer from heat if yours is near the exhaust move it.