Side of the road, no start...

Bobbersrule
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Vs1400

Re: Side of the road, no start...

Post by Bobbersrule »

Well lets see, replaced battery first, then 1 week, that battery went tits up, stator not charging, ordered a new stator, got it in, put it in bike, but did not know old stator was not even sending a trickle into the battery, so drained battery down past it's threshold & killed a cell, has a hassle free 1 year warranty, so wrote them, they apologized, shipped me a new battery,told me i could keep the old one, (gonna sell it at scrap yard) got it last friday, put it on bike, fired up bike, all seems great, YAY!!!

:cheers: :rock: :putput:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Thanks for the update. It is always good to know what fixed the problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Finger's crossed. I hate intermittent problems.
Arthritis sucks!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Forge wrote:Finger's crossed. I hate intermittent problems.
I hope so too.

Recurring electrical gremlins will drive a person batty.

Back in the early 70's I had a 64 Merc Comet that would drain the battery, with no idea as to why or when it was going to happen. After a lot of money spent on it, many irritating failures, I gave up and sold the damn thing.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

mikewalker
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: SUZUKI vs1400

Post by mikewalker »

cincykz wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:53 pm
Still trying to teach myself electrical testing... I see the Suzuki book says that if you don't use the Suzuki(c) pocket tester multi-meter, your numbers will be way off because of the secret sauce that Suzuki manufactures into their tester. I assume that there's not much to that and a generic tester should render acceptably accurate results?

In the mean time, I realized that a Caltric (cheap Chinese I assume?) replacement regulator/rectifier for the VS1400 (and referencing the Suzuki PN 32800-12E01) was $20.49 on Amazon shipped free, so I went ahead and ordered it as I've already spent a couple dozen times that in aggravation and wasted riding time...

I'm glad I cleaned the connections though, they were all tight and dirty with corrosion, so at least the rest of the electrical system should be happy now that it is clean and riding in dielectric grease. Most of my connectors were seized shut. Didn't look too horribly corroded, but almost impossible to separate before, now pinch the tab and pull right apart.

Thanks again for all the insight so far, I am sure we will be back and charging appropriately soon!
I just bought one of these labworks ignitions from ebay same as on the amazon. ordered 2 for my 95 800 and both have no spark. So i wonder if they are all duds.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Just a reminder to check the negitive wire off the battery where it grounds to the block. Sand the connection then torque it back down.

And as always, Star Washers fix everything.